Useless warning

Is there a way of proceeding to an “Autopsy” of such a file to find the culprit ?

1 Like

Hello - try Audit3dMFile. Does your template include a pile of VRay materials?

-Pascal

Here’s the audit file :
Audit.txt (35.9 KB)
I’m reviewing it now, but I’m not sure what to look for.

what version of V-Ray do you have installed? AFAIK this issue has bothered be since 3.x
I just tested to make sure: once I disable V-Ray the issue is gone

Hmm - looks like VisualArq user data.

user table[5]: (86345276 bytes)
      Plug-in id: 3F5C54C8-2A32-49a9-ADE2-79E489B8060B

-Pascal

Arrrrghhh !
VisualArq ! This plug-in is driving me crazy…
It’s neither loaded or enabled, how can it do that ?

The only reason I’m using this is because I need to import/ Export IFC.
Other than that, this thing has brought me nothing but trouble.

If the user data is in your template (?), you can purge it there - save the template without data - and then add in whatever you need again, like Rhino or Vray materials etc.

-Pascal

This does not seem to be the case :

We already had problems (actually ONE of the MANY problems) with VisualArq that bloated files with whatever, but they said it had been fixed.
Charming lads out there in Barcelona, but we spent more time helping them debugging than actually using the damn thing.

Hi Pascal,

I also have this annoying problem. Rhino starts with our template file, and if I want to open a different file I get this:

How do I know if I have any user data? all we have is an Octane shadow catcher material and a physical ground plane in a layer (because Octane does not work well with groundplane feature of Rhino yet).

Thanks,

Gustavo

This is my audit file. I see a lot of old junk in there! how do I clean that up?

gustavos_template_audit_gf_191203.txt (8.7 KB)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Audit3dmFile command in V6 makes an exhaustive list of what’s in the file.
If I remember correctly, down towards the end of the file is the section for Plug-ins. It includes the plug-in ID including the name if it’s loaded, and the byte size of data in the file.

than makes some sense John. Can I try to save it unchecking ‘include plugin data’, and then only add back the Octane material and resave one more time? will that make things smoother? will the warning go away?

We never had this problem before, it has only appeared in the last few months.

You’ll need to try it and see.
I do not have those tools here.

@osuire, @gustojunk - is this correct:

Open a fresh Rhino then File>Open and you get the save file message.

If that is correct, can you please

1. Send me the template that opens with Rhino.
  2. Save the file and send me the result.

Olivier, is this where you’re getting the 84 MB file, or is there another action needed for this?

-Pascal

Hi @pascal,

here are my template files.

Before saving:
original_template_rhino_octane_template_WIP_ik_180116.zip (356.7 KB)

after resave before closing the template file:
resave_before_close_rhino_octane_template_WIP_ik_180116.zip (356.7 KB)

after resaved ‘without plugin data’
resaved_without_plugin_data_rhino_octane_template_WIP_ik_180116.zip (6.6 KB)

Thanks!

G

Hi Gustavo - thanks - the Saved file is a V7 file. I did not know 7 was involved here…

resave_before_close_rhino_octane_template_WIP_ik_180116.3dm = a V7 file.

That said, I’m not getting the Save notice so far from either 6 or 7… still poking.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

V7 wasn’t involved (file version I mean) until you asked me to re-save it. I do work in V7, and yeah this issue seems to only be happening in V7.

G

Hi Gustavo - can you try SaveAsTemplate-ing this file from V7 and use that? Is there any change in behavior?

-Pascal

You are a genius. That fixed it!!! thanks :slight_smile:

Ka-chingggg. One down… but Olivier’s problem still irks…

-Pascal