Usage Statistics option

In Rhino 6.15, due out in another week or two, you can opt out of Updates and Statistics from within the installer. All future installations will maintain this setting for all users on the computer. The option is set by clicking the gear next to Install Now.

Yes, we could. We have chosen not to for Rhino 5 and Rhino 6. The update system sends an anonymous user ID along with the request to update. Since we do that, we disable updates as well as usage statistics. Yes, we could reengineer the system to not take that parameter, but it’s not among the highest priority issues we face.

This is why you have an option. It’s your prerogative to trust or not trust our assertions about your privacy. If you don’t trust us based on what we publish, please don’t enable features that send that information. And no, we don’t do that.

2 Likes

That’s for sure.

Thanks for clarifying this @brian.

About the parameter in the installer, I always click it, but auto-updates are not really received every time.
I mean, it is not reliable. Sometimes even if it is checked and I know there’s a new release Rhino doesn’t ask to install the new version, unless I manually check. And sometimes even manual check for new release is not enough and I have to download the installer myself.

Until 6.15 the installer has been confusing: the “check for updates” and “enable statistics” options have applied only to the installer itself. Now, with 6.15, those parameters pass through to Rhino.

It sounds like, now, you have updates enabled, and you want it to work more reliably? Next time you see this, can you please:

1. Send me a screen shot of the Updates and Statistics page of Rhino Options.
  2. Send me the URL you get when you click “Check Now” in the same dialog.
  3. Send me a screen shot of the Help > About Rhino splash screen.
1 Like

The automatic update system can be a slower than you think. It may take a day or two after we announce a new release on the forum.

I think the issue had been what @brian said about:

After the second or third 6.15 RC update I was notified without manually checking.

I don’t check new releases regularly, and I have blocked such emails, because they annoy me. In fact I would’ve still be using 6.13 if there wasn’t a fix for the Particle Class implementation in 6.15 :wink:

Hi @brian,

This is a clean install of latest Rhino6 RC:

And this is what I get when I launch it for the first time:

Note that install statistic != usage statistic.

1 Like

Oh my God! :smiley: