URGENT issue with a CNC laser prototype

Hey, I recently used this method on my self-built lasercutter:
http://enac-oc.epfl.ch/files/content/sites/enacco/files/shared/am/Dcoupe/Export-DXF-Rhino-EN

Hope it is of any help, otherwise I would like to point out that this problem you’re having is the kind of problem that can’t be helped easily. It is at the hands of the user that doesn’t have the knowledge (yet) to fix a problem.

In my opinion, the guys working at the lasercutting workshop should have this knowledge ready to help you out, they probably work with these kind of problems every day, so I suggest they learn how to fix this for you because you can expect this to happen time and again when you do lasercuts for other people.

that file has a bunch of curves on top of each other…

run the command _SelDup (which selects duplicate objects) then press delete.

_Trim off the little loop at the bottom of the fishtail…

seems to join up nicely then… does your other file have these duplicate lines in there?

[edit]… the other file you uploaded here… UPLOAD.dwg
…also has some duplicates… unfortunately in this case, there must be some slight differences in them because _SelDup doesn’t recognize them as duplicates.

but the middle curves in the chain are actually two curves:

The solution is ridiculously easy.

Don’t export from Illustrator to DXF.

Import your .AI file directly into Rhino, and all of your curves will be intact. You can then export to DXF from Rhino in the required format.

Well, apparently the AI import was tried but did not work

I don’t have Illustrator so I cannot check if one can export several versions of *.ai. Perhaps @Deckey should try with PDF export from AI?

@margaret,
Help file > File I/O > File Formats > Index of import/export file types > import > Adobe Illustrator (*.ai)

This gets you to the Rhinoceros Help page where only PDF is mentioned. Shouldn’t there be something about ai (and eps)? Does the line “Save your file from Adobe Illustrator as a version CS (version 11) or older file format.” refer to the PDF format? Inkscape PDF export gives 2 choices: PDF 1.4 and PDF 1.5…

Hello.
I’m not able to import directly the file from Illustrator (.ai) …
Seems impossible. Rhino don’t leave the permission to do that

Have you tried dragging the Illustrator file onto the Rhino application icon?

Oops. Bad link. It should go to aI_ai_export.htm I have fixed this. It will appear in the updated help soon. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll look at the problems with the pdf page.

It’s tough to debug the problem without a file to work with,
you have a lot of experienced people here with good ideas.

• Try saving the Illustrator file as an older format before
    you open it in Rhino.

• When you say there are too many lines and arcs it sounds
    like the shape that you have needs many lines and arcs to describe it without
    actually simplifying or changing the shape to allow longer arcs and curves,
    yes?

In my experience there has never been a requirement for
unjoined lines, if anything, that makes the laser stop and start at the end and
start point of each line which gives you tiny circles/points rather than a
smooth cut that only has a point at the start/stop location.

What machine/laser are you using?

http://www.cutlasercut.com/resources/drawing-guidelines/autocad

http://www.cutlasercut.com/resources/drawing-guidelines/adobe-illustrator-cs-r

So in closing I would convert everything into polylines and
have continuous lines for a cleaner cut.
This is true for laser CNC and waterjet cutting.

Make sure there are no duplicates as has already been stated
and make sure all of your lines and arcs are tangent.

Have a look here: http://prntscr.com/7q65uc <<< join your curves (except straight lines) and rebuild with degree 2 curves and increase the point count until the shape is as close to the original without making the point count too high.

Make sure the lines are joined though, don’t send broken lines…

Before:

After:

Good luck!