Upcoming VRay 3.0 for Rhino 5 ( and Rhino 6?)

Wow. That looks amazing!! I need to practice!!

:wink:

1 Like

thank you @gman. :blush:

Donā€™t get too cozy. If Adobe decides to offer up a pile of cash things might eventually go the way they tend toā€¦

http://www.develop3d.com/blog/2017/01/adobe-project-felix-integrates-v-ray-into-creative-cloud

I recently had a look at a few of the programmes I didnā€™t recognise in my Adobe CC subscription and Felix was amongst them. It looked quite interesting and slightly familiar, although I didnā€™t realise it used v-ray.

Hopefully the tie-in with Adobe is nothing more than a variation of Chaos Groupā€™s usual plug-in model. Iā€™d hate to see v-ray disappear as an option for Rhino users. Fortunately thereā€™s no suggestion that could happen, that Iā€™m aware of anyway. Iā€™ll keep my fingers crossed.

Money talks and BS walks.

Unfortunately, if Chaos wants an exit strategy one day, and Adobe provides one, theyā€™d be pressed to find a deeper pocketed suitor. Die may or may not be cast, regardless of ā€˜assurancesā€™ā€¦???

Only thing for certain is that Adobe ainā€™t your ordinary tie-inā€¦

I think Chaosgroup is so big and strong they will not sell the company.

That is certainly plausible too @Micha ā€¦

Perhaps Iā€™m just trying to look on the bright side - there have been too many good plug-ins disappear recently. I havenā€™t heard any suggestion (other than here) that Chaos Group might be acquired by Adobe, or worse Autodesk. We all know it could happen but Iā€™ll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. If v-ray went the way of T-Splines and VSR Iā€™d be seriously disappointed - thatā€™s putting it politely.

I see no reason to think about something like this. Right, anything and nothing is possible. Also you could think about that Autodesk is buying Rhino ā€¦ .

I donā€™t think Autodesk has plans for taking over Chaos Group, also bear in mind that they recently bought Arnold Rendererā€¦

About a year ago I had to decide between Maxwell V3 or VRay V2 for Rhino for the rendering software at my office. After a bunch of testing we ended up going with Maxwell as the quality of light seemed better and Maxwell V3 had a nice suite of built in functions. It is slow to get super high quality renders but it is possible to get decent quality renders of large scenes in an hour. The online material library is a great asset. I am going to be curious to give VRay 3 a demo.

I am curious why more users do not use Maxwell?

Maybe because with V-Ray itā€™s possible to have both high speed/long compute time and also very high quality/low compute time - your choice.

1 Like

Because you canā€™t faster render no matter how long you used Maxwell and how good you know any parameter. So, tight deadlines can bring you in trouble. Itā€™s best for beginners and not-daily-users.
At Vray you can use the easy brute force setup that allow to render like at Maxwell - progressive, no calculation errors, easy to setup, not full speed, but faster than Maxwell. Over the time you can discover the additional options are try to get more speed and you can be faster. With the irradiance map you can get more speed, you can choose between quality and speed, experts get both. :wink:
The advantage of Vray are the fast rendered interiors based on the great GI quality of the light cache. For product shots any render engine is fast. Also Vray allow to render extreme high res images within good render times.
But also I must say, Octane doeā€™s a great job for product shots, if the max biased options are used (ambient occlusion setup). I used Octane for full HD animations with camera blur and a lot of reflective metal materials. Only the UI is horrible to use - so far my experience.

1 Like

How is Thea Render performing in comparison to VRay in terms of speed and performance?

Thea uses both CPU and GPU. Should be useful for Bongo animations and product shots.

// Rolf

Have you found the vray express toolbar yet? I canā€™t locate it either.

Iā€™m afraid I didnā€™t find the express toolbar. If I recall correctly, there was some discussion on the Chaos Group forum and there was a rather convoluted way to get hold of it but I downloaded the v3 Beta instead. Iā€™ve since upgraded to v3, which comes with materials so Iā€™d rather forgotten about the express toolbar. I hope you manage to find it.

I have the V-Ray Express Toolbar Installer and can send you a link to download. Send me an email. dave@schultzeworks.com

If you upgrade to V-Ray 3.4, I would recommend against using the older materials. First, the new version comes with more ā€“ and higher quality ā€“ materials. Secondly, youā€™ll get better & faster results with the new / upgraded / optimized materials.

FYI. We have seen problems with students using materials from a very old / prior versions. Its best to keep the materials current. This is not in the manual, but is my experience seeing lots of ā€˜software abuseā€™ in my college class!

I just downloaded v3 as well. I noticed that the materials are there but
there doesnā€™t seem to be an option for studio floors, or have you also
found those somewhere else?

Thank you

Jan Waginski
416 822 2637

Found it. It was hiding on the app toolbar and the app menu.

Hi! Iā€™ve been taking your intro course on Lynda over the summer. Love it! I
just started the rendering course. I also found the infinite plane but no
other studio floors. Iā€™ve messaged Chaos support but no response yetā€¦