Unwrapping\unfolding image from a 3D surface into a 2D pattern

Dear all,

I am struggling to unwrap a decal from a 3D surface. The objective is to see the image undeformed on a 3D surface. Therefore, the 2D corresponding image will be deformed.The process works well for a cylinder, as shown below. However, it does not work properly for a cone.

For the cone, the lines become zigzagged just after I use the bake command. I wonder if you could help me with that? In fact, I have two main questions. Is this the best tool for unwrapping? If so, how can I do it for a cone-like shape? I need to unwrap an image for the tail of an airplane (not a perfect cone though…).

Thank you very much for your help!

Gitsuzo

Hi Gitsuzo - you may be able to reduce the zig-zag by making the render mesh on the cone very dense - see object Properties > Custom mesh

-Pascal

Dear Pascal, thank you very much! It worked!

Another question… I would like to do the same thing using a mesh (or points cloud). However, it seems the “bake” command does not work for meshes. Any suggestions?

Once again, thank you!

Gitsuzo

Hi Gitsuzo - I do not have a good idea I’m afraid.

-Pascal

No problem
:wink:

Hello again,

I am trying to use “bake” to unfold an image from a tail of an airplane. However, the image generated is black and white as well as deformed. I would really appreciate some help from @pascal or whoever is interested…

Thanks a lot!

Gitsuzo

Hi Gitsuzo - can you post or send the file to tech@mcneel.com?

-Pascal

Hello @pascal,

Sorry for the delay. Please find the file below.

Regards,

Gitsuzo
empenage1.3dm (5.9 MB)

This is only part (single surface) of the tail. However, the “bake” command does not work on it either.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Gitsuzo
EmpenagePart.3dm (1.0 MB)

Hi Gitsuzo - it looks like changing the decal direction to ‘Both’ 'fixes this here - can you try that?

-Pascal

Dear Pascal,

Indeed, it worked! Thanks a lot!

Just out of curiosity, any idea on the reason for the issue?

Best regards,

Gitsuzo

Hi Gitsuzo - as far as I can see this is a bug…

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-55351

-Pascal

Dear @pascal,

Sorry for taking the discussion further… I tried to reproduce the same procedure using another airplane. However, the image generated is distorted. Could you please help me with that? :flushed:

I tried refining the mesh, but it did not work either.

Please find attached the .3dm file:
A310TailTest1.3dm (7.7 MB)

Also, is it possible to apply the “bake” command in several surfaces at the same time so that I can have the entire image on a file? I joined the surfaces (in the first file I sent you some days ago), but when I apply “bake”, it generates a file with the image split in several pieces.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Gitsuzo

Hi Gitsuzo - the baked image is distorted so that when applied to the UV of the surface, it will map back to the same locations as the decal had - the baking bakes to the UV and ignores the planar mapping of the decal. Note after you bake, the surface no longer has a decal, is has a material that uses the baked image.

What are you trying to accomplish by baking?

-Pascal

Hello @pascal,

I want to unwrap the image so that I can print it and glue it on a real model. It worked fine for a cylinder:

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Gitsuzo

Best regards,

Gitsuzo

Yes - you got lucky - the shape works out well. Try this:

1. Split the surface with Isocurves to frame the decal.

2. Set the direction (Dir command) to ‘outward’.

3. Bake.

4. Mesh the surface.

5. Squish the mesh:

-Pascal

1 Like

Dear @pascal,

Once again, thank you very much for your help. It worked perfectly!

My last step would be printing it so that I could glue it on the real model. Is there a way of generating a image from the surface created with “squish”. Or, perhaps, a way of printing it directly? Whenever I try anything (even selecting the surface), the image on the squished surface gets deformed…

I really appreciate your help!

Gitsuzo