Unroll Closed Curve?

rhino
rhinoformac

Do you know if there’s such thing as a command to ‘unroll a curve’?

Similar to the unrollsrf, but for a closed curve.

Basically we are designing a bean bag, for which we need to then create the pattern to be cut in fabric.
The central pieces were done correctly and the unrollsrf worked like a charm, but the sides that are made of more complex curves the patch doesent work neatly. We eventually managed to patch but the unrollsrf doesent work.

The side lenght is 272cm and we need to match the unrolled curve of the side piece to result with the same lenght so to be stitched together.

I really hope I managed to explain myself and that someone will be able to help.
I’ve attached the file.BEANCHIAR2.3dm (2.7 MB)

Many Thanks

there are 2 options to unroll the patch, either you lower the relative tolerance to 0.1 then unroll works
or you use smash. to set that you have to call up the command first then select the surface.

its (0.35 % ) smaller after unrolling while smash delivers (0.36 % ) smaller. maybe that helps.

BEANCHIAR3.3dm (4.0 MB)

wow that works like a charm!
the tolerance is totally acceptable because in any case we could fix that during stitching!

Thank You so much!!!

(David Cockey) #4

Squish is another option, and it has multiple options on how distortion will be handled including PreserveBoundary which keeps the boundary lengths. http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/mac/help/en-us/index.htm#commands/squish.htm?Highlight=squish

WOW! This solution delivers an even more accurate tolerance!
THANKS

yes forgot about this one, squish back should also be mentioned then, to patch back some curves or surfaces, meshes, good alternative to flowalongsrf if you have squished it before.