Unneeded vertices when exporting to fbx

Hi,
tried to export a simple cube with a simple chamfer. Should be not more than 24 vertices.
Actually it ends up with more than 700 vertices.
I tried for hours to tweak the settings but still not able to get a nearly acceptable result.
At least the chamfer face is devided in 5 or more faces.

Should be imported then to Maya.

Anybody facing the same problem or know a solution?

Hello - if you are exporting from surfaces, then these are meshed on the way - meshing surfaces, especially trimmed ones may well make more polys than you expect - try the Mesh command to see if you can get a mesh you like, then export that.

-Pascal

I did that already when exporting.
The chamfer face is unnecessary splitted and I found no way to eleminate that.

I Maya it shows up even with more than 700 vertices. Looks corrupt there.

Hi @gerhard
Instead of meshing when exporting, try to mesh it manually beforehand using the Mesh command. Then run AddNgonsToMesh on the resulting mesh and export that. I don’t know if Maya will accept the Ngons, but it’s worth a try.
HTH, Jakob

I did that and the mesh looked right in Rhino.
When importing in Maya it hat lots of vertices evenly ditributed.
AddNgonsToMesh had no effect.

We’ve concluded that any mesh export from Rhino for realtime rendering purposes is sadly very broken (both FBX and OBJ, I think).

For example (and I think this is what you are seeing in part), even if you choose the “weld vertices” options, they are not welded, and because custom normals from CAD is very finnicky, there’s no easy way to weld them outside of Rhino either.

Because of this, we always export STEP from Rhino and tesselate in either 3D Studio Max or Datasmith for Unreal Engine.

I found a workaround for Maya.
Make a mesh with lot of tries to get the right numbers and export that as fbx.
In Maya I then used the weld command to eliminate the unneeded vertices.
Not very elegant but working for simple geometries and not to much objects.
Unfortunately Maya is not reading STEP Files and Datasmith is not in use.

Yes, this will destroy the custom normals, as I mentioned.

It might be fine if you have a really super-high resolution model, but we often want to output the result to VR, so that doesn’t work for us (also, we haven’t managed to export instances as actual instances yet either… but that might be due to the cumbersome “block” system in Rhino, I’m not sure).

I need it also for AR. How do you handle that.
Do you use other software?

Yes. Datasmith for Unreal or Pixyz for Unity.