University-Teaching Position CAD/Rendering/Sketches in Lucerne / Switzerland

In Czechia “docent” is an academic title between PhD and Professor (“professor” is a title granted by the country president after fulfilling all the requirements).

I can understand the requirement for a master’s degree - even mere CAD tutor position can be part of further academic career and it’s better for everyone if you’re hooked in the university by unfinished PhD degree.

I believe you’re mixing it up.

PhD is academic degree, Professor is also academic degree.
For these to be received the person writes and defends dissertations, thesis.

Dozent is a position that translates in English as Associate Professor.
One is Dozent at a specific University or Institute. Dozent is a person who is allowed to be the lead of some discipline (lead the lectures). S/he can also lead scientific research projects. That has nothing to do with a specific thesis. When this person leaves that institution he’s no longer a Dozent. While a PhD (doctor) and Professor will retain the titles even after leaving their job.

In the ex-Communist states (that should include Czech Rep. Slovakia, Poland, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, etc. (Russia of course) they have additional academic degree which is called Doctor of Sciences. That is different and higher than PhD.

If you want more information about the academic degrees and their unification. There is an article, regulation (whatever it is called). Smart people gathered some time in the past in Bologna, Italy. They decided how academic degrees from different countries will be unified. The document is called “Bologna Process”.

Update:
Something I wasn’t sure but just checked. Professor is also a position at university and not an academic degree. It is a higher rank than Dozent. So you lose it if you quit your job at the university

Hi RMA, sorry if I diverted the topic, maybe it’s time to split in into its own topic?

Hi All,

These discussions are hilarious and at the same time kind of depressing: a bunch of people discussing titles in education and what kind of meaning they have. This proves my point of the bullshit and embarrassment that is the state of design education in most places around the world.

Glad to hear about the Canadian model, where I know of several accomplished professional designers working in education. This is a very good model to follow. We need more of this. We need more hiring, benchmarks, and compensation in design education based on skill and professional experience. Not of how many years teachers have been sheltered studying and accumulating degrees instead of getting the skills necessary to get a real design job and learn by designing products for a living, for several years.

I also want to share a story here:

I know a couple of people that are doing this. It’s a very good model. but I also know that at if you are a professional going back to teaching you are supposed, expected (and sometimes out right told) to conform with their system and not rock the boat. At the end of the day most schools are just businesses and students are customers, and the more the better. The only standard is who can pay full tuition.

A colleague told me that he was not allowed to tell students that only about 10%-15% of industrial design graduates will be prepared, capable or skilled enough to gain a entry level job in industrial design. He also told me that he was not allowed to fail students, regardless of the lack of performance, even though a large percentage of them were lazy AF (common American private school syndrome).

I don’t know about other fields, but in industrial design, education needs a completely different approach IMO. There’s very little quality and the metrics and incentives are all wrong. It’s pretty much an institutional scam actually. It should be illegal to load kids with U$100K plus of student loans for a bad education that does not make them even employable.

We need to bring back the guilds and apprenticeship programs. And fire all the bureaucrats. :rofl:

Gustavo

1 Like

you mean those who sit in their chairs and write weird self indulged stuff into forums?

:wink:

Amen brother!

I receive notifications for this thread, forgive me, but forget me.

The fact that the teacher is obliged to regularly monitor what is going on in his field and that he needs to update himself in a technical and practical way is one thing.

But that the students are operational workers at the end of their studies is something else.

Studies are a gymnastics of the mind, not an experience and hardly knowledges
A diploma is the right to learn, just like a driver’s license, it’s the right to learn to drive.
This is the case regardless of the epochs, country or field of activity.

2 Likes

It’s a largely unionized work force. Fact is; schools will have a mixture of brilliant capable professors, complete losers, and everything in between. Their pay is generally not performance based, rather seniority based. And they can’t be fired. (Unless they really F-up badly.)

Study tenure laws…(and don’t conflate ‘laws’ with: rules, desires, common sense).

A academic can, and typically will, wax for hours on the pluses/minuses of the tenure system, acknowledge abuses, and conclude that positive societal aspects outweigh any negative.

And in switzerland, where this job is at and what this topic is about.

1 Like

I am not going to argue but Switzerland has adopted the Bologna Process. Either you are malinformed or Wikipedia is wrong.

Unless Dozent and Privatdozent are two completely different things. Which is weird to me.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I have flagged the above post as “inappropriate” - keep it polite and civil folks…

1 Like

I can agree with you but encephalon’s joke was also insulting.

I learnt to ignore such comments because I prove that statement wrong everywhere I work.

You’re right, I must have missed that one in the discussion. Don’t hesitate to flag stuff yourself if you find it insulting or inappropriate.

1 Like

@ForestOwl and @ivelin.peychev i clearly have nothing against any country and if the humour has not reached across and you feel patriotic and seek for animosity in my comment, then i really cant help you there. anyway sorry for this ridiculous misunderstanding.

1 Like

I understood the joke, and didn’t think it was worthy of a flag.
@encephalon, every joke is a little bit insulting that doesn’t mean they are not funny :wink: . I use jokes a lot, and some of them insult people. That’s clear considering how many people resent my comments in this forum. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think @ForestOwl 's English is not so good, and that’s why he’s comment resulted in an inappropriate one.

The problem is you don’t understand what you quoted. A “Dozent” in german means a person teaching at a place of higher education. You don’t necessarly need a PhD or habilitation.

A “Privatdozent” is someone who has a Habilitation but is no professor, meaning usually not heading a department.
Dozent and Privatdozent are not the same, all Privatdozent are part of Dozent but not the other way round.

1 Like