Understanding ApplyMeshUVN

If I understand right, ApplyMeshUVN is kind of like an automated version of flowalongSrf, where the mesh object’s bounding box is used to morph it into the 0-1 space of a surface?

So it sort of seems a flowalongsrf/UVCrv/ApplyCrv hybrid. But I feel like I’m missing something that could be very useful. The mentioning of ‘texture UV co ordinates’ specifically throws me off a bit.

Goal is to try and create several deformed states of a mesh object, to use as keyframes in an animation. Try to deform rather than distort,though.

thanks,

ApplyMesh will morph the mesh onto the surface using that mesh’s UV texture coordinates, or how an image texture would apply to it in a material as the reference. Use the command UVeditor to see and edit the UVs of the mesh. ApplyMeshUVN will do the same but stretches the mesh to the surface edges as well in the U and V direction of that surface. ApplyMeshUVN also has a vertical scale option to impact the high and low points once wrapped. I believe both commands require the mesh to have UVs. They can be finicky too about the UV directions on the target surface so you may have to use the Dir command to swap or flip these to get want you want.