Unable to view in any render mode other than wireframe

I have a just converted to Apple Silicon …my Intel Mac computer was stolen :frowning: … so I’m trying to get my models working on Rhino 8 WIP. Mainly things seem to be pretty good in “wireframe” mode but I am having regular crashes and weird results when I try to get a look at my model in any other render mode (shaded is my normal favourite).

Problems seem especially frequent in imported elements which I need for my boat hull model. It was an “STL” file. This all worked perfectly in Rhino 7

Hi Paul -

You might want to try the TestMetal command to use the Metal display pipeline.
-wim

Thanks Wim,

Yes I have been using the “testmetal” command.

Hi Paul -

Please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.

Does that mean that, when you start a new file from a factory-default template and create a few boxes, you are not running into these regular crashes?

Also, I checked but can’t see any crash reports from you. Are you sending those in?
-wim

Thanks again Wim,

Here’s the system info report
Rhino systeminfo.txt (5.0 KB)

No I can create and edit in Rhino OK. Problems come when I try to see the model in any mode other than “wireframe”

At the moment its just hanging rather than crashing but I will send in a crash report as soon as I get the next one :slight_smile:

Hi Paul -

Yes, but does that happen with a few boxes in a new file as well, or is this only happening with certain files?

If it doesn’t recover, you can force a crash dump. Follow these instructions to create the file and where to send it: Manually Creating a Memory Dump (DMP File) from an Unresponsive Rhino for Mac [McNeel Wiki]
-wim