UI / Interaction questions

Hi, let me first say that Rhino+Grasshopper navigation with trackpad is really working nicely now and it is a pleasure to use it on Mac.

I have three questions however, and I don’t know where else to post them.

1. Is it expected behaviour that right-click (or two finger tap) on a selection of multiple components will only give the options for the single component under the cursor? I was hoping for something akin to the palette appearing that would apply to all selected components. The palette used to be a satisfying hit on the spacebar, but is now (for a while!) inconvenient to access.
  2. CTRL+left click in other applications gives the context menu, but not on Grasshopper components. Could this be made to happen? Or would it break something else?
  3. Click & drag + Option duplicates components, but for some reason not a Scribble. Is this on purpose? It would be nice if that worked the same way.

Many thanks in advance for your responses.

Hi @06nH,

1. Two finger tap in between components but within the dotted line selection border when more than one is selected. This is middle click if you use a mouse or stylus no matter where the cursor is but for track pad you need to be between components or off of a single selected component.
  2. I don’t think Ctrl + LMB does anything now on Mac but does the solution to 1 solve this? Cmd is deselect and disconnect on Mac where Ctrl is used for those on Windows so at a guess it might be a cross platform issue if we changed it.
  3. Thanks, I see that too on Mac and Windows GH. Filed as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-59801 . In the meantime, Cmd+C and Cmd+V copy the scribble if that helps.

Thanks @BrianJ, appreciate the feedback.

1. This is great. I even see that it works outside of the selection border. It seems that with this menu, the radial menu (which I above mistakenly called the palette) has become obsolete?
  2. There is no absolute need for this, but in other applications I find myself switching between two-finger tapping and Control-clicking (I personally find the latter less straining). It is Apple’s UI guidelines that set out that contextual menus are invoked that way: https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/menus/contextual-menus/
  3. Thanks for addressing this.

You can still get the radial menu with a middle click but I’m not seeing a way to get the trackpad to do one. It looks like all the same tools are there but it’s not as pretty.

Hey @BrianJ and @06nH , you can still get the radial menu using option+space (or alt+space) on Mac.

As for getting the context menu with control+click, we should get that wired up. I’ve created RH-59829 to look into to doing that.

Cheers!
Curtis.

Thanks for the responses.

Thanks Curtis! This is good to know.

RH-59829 is fixed in the latest WIP