Twisting and Torsion of Folding Mesh

Hi all, I am simulating a folding ![example_origami_kangaroo2_twisting%20problem|690x285] origami form but I could not simulate the torsion movement as in the examples. Can you please help for the rotation and torsional movement as in the examples and depending on a variable parameter? @DanielPiker

origami_twisting_problem.gh (103.1 KB)
origami_twisting_problem.3dm (2.6 MB)

That kind of origami “theoretically” doesn’t allow flexion in 2 axis, but just in one.
A “twist” or torsion effect is a shape that shouldn’t be achievable by that origami.
(In fact, there are few origami modules that allow many deformations, most of them doesn’t allow “negative” curvature either…)
In the pictures it “work” because the paper is not 100% rigid (like a math model), but somehow “elastic” (very elastic).

Applying an “inside” force to bend/twist your origami would give you non-uniform, unexpected and ugly results.
You should prefer to use a rigid (or semi-rigid) shape/surface/mesh as attractor to gradually put-in-place your origami.

(This is an old video of mine, old grasshopper, old kangaroo)
See at 9:17 and then at 10:20 … (turn off audio :joy: )
I did use a shape to attract “valley points” (pull to surface) , and another shape (from offset) to attract “mountain points”. By changing the offset you can set the opening/closing of the origami.
And you can add some lashes + anchor point to manually fix your origami in position.

My idea is:
Origami(s) are rigid, theoretically… you can’t use them if you don’t enforce them.
It’s easier to just use a predetermined shape.

This is just an opinion.

I watched your video.( I was turned off audio :joy: ), but I want to get a rotation movement on a center axis. I would like to create a data sculpture by linking axial rotation motion data to Excel. Before that, I’m trying to do the central axial rotation while folding at the kangaroo 2.
It may be a good idea to use offset surfaces, but I cant rotate after twisting on a central axial axis.