Trying to solve terrain issue

(Przemysław Doliwa) #1

Hello everybody! This is first time when i dont know how to solve properly surface. I somebody will be so kind and would take a look on this.

This is highway junction - i try to model ground from dwg reference. and then i will need to cover this with road whole project is for rendering purposes only but i’d like to use edge softening for this slopes so i need to be quie accurate here in terms of tolerance.

I tried already all kind of blending patching etc.

TERRAIN_TO_SOLVE.3dm (1.3 MB)

(Pascal Golay) #2

Hi Przemyslaw - see if the attached is anything like what you need - somewhat quick and dirty but it may be a way to go

• red= lines placed across the road.
  • white = Sweep2 on the edge curves.
  • green = Patch fillers on the duplicated edge curves and the edges of the Sweep2 surfaces.
    Or is that what you tried already…?

TERRAIN_TO_SOLVE_PG.3dm (1.1 MB)

-Pascal

(Przemysław Doliwa) #3

Hi Pascal thanks for response. Yes i tried that approach but if you join them together edge softening will fail on patches btw. big green one won’t join at all (below tolearnce). Do you think that spliting edges and making srf blends with curvature will do the job ? I mean instead of edge softening.

(Pascal Golay) #4

Hi Przemyslaw - it is dirty-work but for a rendering you might get away with forcing edges to join - I remade the patches with 40 spans and stiffness at .5, then Joined. The unjoined edge I forced with JoinEdge - please see help about this command - use with caution - I’d say it is OK for a rendering…

Then EdgeSoftening at 25 or 50 … now, the object does not look softened in the area of the patch edges, as you pointed out, but I see that making the mesh settings a little finer in DocumentProperties > Mesh cleans that up - set a custom mesh setting >Detailed controls > Max distance edge to surface of .25 and 256 minimum initial quads.

-Pascal

(Przemysław Doliwa) #5

I found that normals was fliped also - i’ll try force joining and refining mesh - i used to do this by custom mesh for that object instead of refining all in viewport while working :wink:

Anyway thanks for trying to help in this case. I would like also to ask if it is proper way of making this kind of thing in Rhino or for sth like this there is better aproach ?

(Pascal Golay) #6

Hi Przemyslaw - I guess structurally this is like the perennial Y-branch problem - what do you do when the structure branches and surfaces are limited to the rectangular topology… - it is certainly possible to make much cleaner primary surfaces and to make ‘proper’ transitions, but it is a bit of work and I’m not sure if that is worth it in the context of making a rendering-

-Pascal

(Przemysław Doliwa) #7

In terms of learning new things it is always worth it! I tried reconstruct that what you showed but i probably dont get sth here :slight_smile:

(Pascal Golay) #8

Yeah… to make that layout work you’d want the whole thing to be made from simple clean surfaces so that it all joins up nicely - as I say, probably impractical in this context.

-Pascal

(Przemysław Doliwa) #9

I don’t want to spam here but just wanted to share small updaete on this :wink:

(Pascal Golay) #10

Looking good!

-Pascal

(Willem Derks) #11

No spam at all, great to see this result! Thanks for sharing

-Willem

It would be great to see the wireframe. :slight_smile: Great work.

(Przemysław Doliwa) #13

Thanks guys :wink: I think that shouldn’t be “showcase” topic but if you like i’ll update progress from time to time :wink:

@Miguel which wireframe ? :slight_smile: NURBS or MESH ?

Small update. Have in mind that is only ir prev and theres still a lot to do :wink:

(Willem Derks) #14

May I suggest to make a topic over at the galley section:

You can share the images there as well, including the work in progress and rhino screenshots, I really like how this project ended up.

-Willem

Wireframe of the Nurbs but both wont hurt :slight_smile:

(Przemysław Doliwa) #16

I know that i should start new topic in gallery but don’t have time so i’ll just update it here. Project was done entirely in Rhino, rendered with Thea some minor post in PS.

(Przemysław Doliwa) #17

Oh and here you are NURBS wireframe - Mesh looks rather like a spiders web :smiley: