Truncated cone in cylinder

Hello,

I am trying to create an object. I want a truncated cone inside a cylinder; I’ve attached an image of what i’ve created, i placed the cone inside the cylinder.
How do i export the cone in order to create kind of a “cup” like object?

Thank you !!!

Grace Lee

So you want something that looks like a glass?
Use BooleanDifference to subtract the truncated cone from the cylinder.

Here’s a link to the Learn page.
In the top row, there’s a beginning tutorial for modeling a simple glass not dissimilar to this.
http://www.rhino3d.com/tutorials

Hi Grace - you might think about making this shape as a polyline profile of half the shape - that is, up to the centerline - and using Revolve to make the object from the polyline.’

-Pascal

Hi ,

Yes I’m very new to Rhino…
I tried the Boolean Difference and I was unable to subtract the cone out. The entire thing became one mesh…

Can you post your file of the cylinder and truncated cone? Use the vertical arrow on the bar above where you type your post.

For the boolean difference to work you should make your cone a bit longer so that it sticks out of the top of your cylinder. Then try again.

/Nathan

Hi Domenico,

Make sure you’re not using MeshBooleanDifference. This command takes NURBS objects as input but the result will be a mesh. You need to use BooleanDifference. If it doesn’t work, then I’d do as Nathan suggests: extrude the cone a bit so that it protudes from the cylinder.

Vanessa

1 Like