Trouble in pairing origami faces for generating kangaroo modular tensile structures

Hi all, first post here! I am doing a modular tensile structure for mall public spaces for my University project, using common origami triangular panels by a tutorial:

I will need to organise the panels for lofting the surfaces needed for the kangaroo components. However, I have no idea where to start organising the triangular panels into pairs(angled diamonds). Would really love some pointers/tutorials to search on!

the current code:
origami.gh (16.6 KB) (I think its data is internalised?)

the surface I’d like to learn how to pair into angled diamonds for kangaroo:

Here is a module that I would like to populate with the surface I am working on.

It consists:

1. Hexagon joints for joining 2 modules together(limit angles at 60 degree intervals)(used in tandem with low profile zipties)
  2. Rigid joints(2 direction/3 direction) for holding the aluminium bones
  3. Tensile fabric for shading/seating (kangaroo coding solved)
  4. Aluminium bones with elastic structure inside

here the way I am hoping to achieve with the origami surface:

and a rough prototype:

Also, if possible, I would love to know more about generating irregular origami forms with the component that I have. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi, just an update of the structure and bit more clarification on the question before, I tried rotating and mating the components manually, which the result is a bit unsatisfactory. is there a smarter way of doing this?

here is the photo of the structure currently.

The idea is to generate your structure with triangles/faces/modules already sorted.

I would imagine your module to by symmetrical, so equilateral triangles…
Edit: also Isosceles triangles are good.

This definition generates a mesh with equilateral triangles which have faces pre-sorted… you just need to group them 2 by 2.

origami_re.gh (38.4 KB)

A part from this your problem seems a bit more broad and vague… i didn’t really get what you want to do in specific.

1 Like

Thanks Riccardo! that was a Lifesaver!

For a bit more clarification, the modules here are supposed to fit both as shading and furniture, where I would like the modules to be able to fit in different forms, 1) the regular form from the solution you provided, 2) irregular origami forms which I tried to achieve in this picture:

Are there some tips in generating these seemingly random generated forms through the module I created? I was thinking of generating a triangular grid and using random generating components at the moment… I’ll update the results here later.

I fear your module won’t really “pack” well. It has all fixed angles in its structure so it will likely connect only up to a certain amount.
Even perfect tetrahedrons don’t pack well.
But this is a prejudice of mine, I am speaking out of instinct.

Anyway, see here:

Extract a “module” (4 points, 2 faces).
Replicate your module n times.
For each module use its 4 points to make a “Rigid body set” goal component and then also connect all the points (flattened) to a “MagnetSnap” goal component.
Use Grab goal component
and … have fun!

This is surely the cheapest and fastest solution to see where you are going…

1 Like