Trimming the transparent area of a PNG to create an extrudable surface

Is there a way to trim all the transparent areas outside of a PNG file so that I can extrude the surface to make a simple 3d object in the shape of the non-transparent portion? Or do I have to manually trace the whole thing ?

Thanks!

I do this with the ‘image trace’ function in Adobe Illustrator to generate a vector silhouette of the png, then import this into Rhino.

I haven’t used them but I believe there are image trace-like scripts/plugins for Rhino. Vectorize might work - Vectorize | Food4Rhino

1 Like

I’ve switched to affinity design… maybe I can find that there.

Thanks for your help!

Affinity Design does not have an auto image trace function.

In general, any automated tracing will produce issues for later 3D work regardless of application used.
There will certainly be cleanup required, and it might be best to just manually trace to produce clean curves from the start.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I was just hopeful. I’ve always traced everything manually, I was hoping this way it would be easier.

Though, I did jut discover that Aseprite will save as SVG. Though, it creates a square for every pixel. lol

Don’t forget about Inkscape! Inskcape has an inbuilt Trace Bitmap function, with thresholding. :slight_smile:

1 Like