Trim improvement wish v6

(Kyle Houchens) #1

see attached Image, This is a wish for a trim improvement that would allow a user to pick what to KEEP as opposed to what to DELETE. This would allow a user to make a very complicated trim with one click, (example- a complicated curve array on a surface) Keeping the surface outside the curves, and deleting all the surfaces inside the curves-

(Willem Derks) #2

FWIW:

In cases like this, what I do is _Split the base with all trimming curves
After the split the results are selected; Then I de-select the parts I want to keep and hit delete.

Also because trim requires to explicitly select parts to split and with surfaces in wireframe mode that is not practical.

-Willem

(Kyle Houchens) #3

yes but in this case, split made a mess of things…trim described above woudl allow a user to make a massive. complicated trim with one click-

(Greg Arden) #4

Could you post a file? I suspect that Trim also splits the surface in ways you didn’t expect. At the end of Trim remaining connected pieces are “rejoined”.

(Kyle Houchens) #5

yep it does, that’s why I’m hoping this can be tuned up a bit- try trimming this and you’ll see what I mean pretty quick- Ideally the trim could have a depth limit to only affect the surface where a curve is actually touching or perhaps it automagically makes an extrusion surface in the back ground that gets dumped after the trim completes-

trim_wish.3dm (648.1 KB)

(Greg Arden) #6

So in this case the procedure:
split, select the piece to keep, invert and delete.
accomplishes what you want right?
Greg

(Kyle Houchens) #7

No split fails miserably

Kyle Houchens
Www.theoutside.biz
209.322.3427 p/f
209.541.7008 cell

Check out my rhino 5 training video!