Triangulate mesh problem

Hi everyone,

I am trying to triangulate some breps using the trimesh comand and apparetnly it is not working as well as I expected. Some non-expected triangles in the boundaries of the breps appear, not simulating correctly the original brep.

Would anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong?

Mesh_Problem_Triangulate.gh (143.7 KB)

Thank you in advance!

Is it just because the feature is so small you need a smaller target edge length to define these features properly?

The third part in your file has a tiny surface along this problematic edge. The selection is a surface …

I lofted and capped the two planar surfaces of that object. Check the file below

Mesh_Problem_Triangulate.gh (186.1 KB)

4 Likes

I tried to use smaller length and the problem persist

1 Like

Wow, nice appreciation! Thank you so much! I repaired the geometries and trimesh worked perfectly. However there is still one geometry that cannot repair. I have attached the GH file.Mesh_Problem_Triangulate.gh (64.5 KB)

Silly question, I repaired the geometries but trimseh is still doing strange things. How did you repair the brep?

I exploded the shape shown above and looked at every surface. I noticed the small segment and tried lofting the two planar surfaces.

For the remeshing of the remaining surface you might just have to decrease the edge length. At the groove, the edges are just 0.026 mm apart.

Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it. I have rebuilt the brep, and now is composed of 6 faces, but it does not work. I do not know what I am doing wrong.

This is the code

Mesh_Problem_Triangulate_Rebuild.gh (182.9 KB)

Ok, I rebuilt the shape in Rhino. Unless you have a large number of objects, it is the faster way. Not sure why your rebuild didn’t lead to the same result on the TriRemesh, might be due to tolerance?

Now in some cases it is helpful to turn a brep into a mesh before TriRemesh. I added the brep edges as features and it looks nice.

Mesh_Problem_Triangulate_Rebuild.gh (197.4 KB)

3 Likes

Thank you so much for yout time, everything clear!

Thanks again!

I don’t know if it is related to the tolerance. I am just curious about how have you rebuilt the brep in rhino, would you explain to me the steps to follow?

PD: Your solution works with the piece you show but not with the other I was showing you. Anyway I have chosen your rebuilt brep.

Thank you very much for your help

I baked the geometry to Rhino and exploded it, so I was able to check the individual parts. Once I saw the narrow surface along the problematic edge I deleted this surface and tried to join all other surfaces but that didn’t result in a closed brep. I looked at the shape and realized I could simply loft the sides.

1 Like