Transitioning Rhino users to Onshape or Fusion 360

Hej,

has anyone here from a medium or larger industrial design studio transitioned her/his Rhino users to Onshape or Fusion 360 and could chip in which one of the two was chosen and why?

Cheers!

We were interessted in adding Fusion360 to our software package for two reasons. In situations where a quick filleting is required we wanted to give every designer the ability to have access to a reliable auto fillet functionality without the need to use Catia for that. Which has reasons…
The second reason was Tsplines. However Ad Speedform is more suited here anyway. The reason we dismissed Fusion360 relative early: Cloud storage. An absolute No Go

Thanks.

Cloud yes/no depends on company policy. But what was your rationale to consider Fusion360 over Onshape or even good old SolidWorks? Did Fusion360 offer most solid/surface/polygonal design-modeling tools in the easiest to learn UI - or what is your perspective?

None of them, we were looking for additional features. Tools like Fusion360 or Rhino are very affordable compared to its benefits. We were looking for additional features not for an replacement. The idea, enhance a designers capability without a need to buy and teach people in using much more expensive platforms like Catia, for a few tasks which are not doable by a designers main cad platform. Easy UI is very subjective, in the end you need the knowledge about the required functionality. If the UI is simple, that’s good. Actually we haven’t tested Fusion very long

Thanks, I find comparing Onshape and Fusion360 quite difficult without months of use. Autodesk benefit is the link to Dynamo.

Hesitated to answer earlier as don’t meet the defined demographic.

Still, agree with everything said. Would only add: Why fully transition for ID? The products have enough complementary aspects and are relatively inexpensive, in tandem, as a toolset. The very last Fusion version added an Open menu item to smooth cross flow, with much reduced open/import friction - increased file formats. Fillet robustness keep improving too. Fingers crossed reaches closer to Creo fillet capability.

Tried OnShape a while back and didn’t take to it, but agree that such takes enough time…time not applied, to be fair.

On a final personal note - take away my Rhino and tell me to use Fusion instead would make me a very unhappy hypothetical medium to large design firm employee.

I haven’t had a chance to sink my teeth into it, but it seems they’re improving how Fusion deals with non-cloud storage. I don’t know how much of this requires a subscription to the Design and Manufacturing collection though.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/product-design-manufacturing-collection-link-fusion-360/

Fusion has been a nice companion to Rhino so far. I had checked out OnShape a while back and it really just felt like a knocked down cloud version of Solidworks much more than something that brought new ideas to the table. Keep in mind Dynamo isn’t fully integrated in Fusion, as far as I know there’s currently just a link which allows you to map Dynamo variables to model parameters, but I haven’t seen anything that generates geometry. I’m also not sure how Fusion would handle the geometry afterwards as it mainly expects parametrics as a means to accurately place things. Where as a tool like Rhino makes it easy to go back and forth with Grasshopper as it has good tools for accurately managing geometry without the need for setting up constraints etc.

Thanks both.

Dynamo is growing in big firms and is interesting if Fusion360 is adopted. I attended a demonstration recently where it was shown in conjunction with other Autodesk 3D softwares, and for designers, the interoperability was well described. I tend to Fusion360 at the moment, but was hoping there are a few Onshapers out here who actually used in on product design projects. We still have some Creo, but designers seem to like the Fusion approach far more, especially how fast you can set up a model and then make changes incl. tricky fillets that even in SolidWorks, which is a great filleter, look good. But, yes, these decisions are always tricky.

Concur, well, when Fusion ‘works’ (i.e. complex filleting), and when not, well, Creo (SW?).

More approachable motion and simulation for designers too.

Future young designers appear to be attracted to the shiny colors…:wink:

Yeah, I noticed that too. Interface bling goes down well with Millennials.