I believe this is a strange behavior. On scaling a simple surface using Transform → Scale 1-D, a second reference point is requested by the dialog when I had in the previous dialog entered a scale factor. There is no need for a second reference point in this case.
Steps I took,
- created a rectangular surface.
- selected Transform → Scale 1D.
- selected the rectangular surface and pressed enter.
- selected the bottom left hand corner as the origin in the front-view viewport and pressed enter.
- the next dialog asks for a first reference point or a scale factor - I entered a scale factor a little less than one and pressed enter. The surface appears to scale correctly.
- however, the dialog to enter a second reference point appears when it should not (or so I believe). I have only been able to get this box to go away by clicking a point and if I don’t get exactly the new right corner of the rectangular surface, it scales it again and ignores my scale factor.
I am using OS X 10.7.5 (Lion) and Rhino Wenatchee 2013-08-23 (476).