Transfer Line Load to a Shell

Hi, I am trying to transfer a line load to a shell element without having the line element influence my results. For instance, I can’t optimize my shell cross-section for displacements as they include my line element. Any way I could implement a line load and disregard the beam element in the analysis?

Thank you,

Mathieu

Karamba 1.3.1
Rhinoceros 6

Dear Mathieu,
you could try the following: use short truss elements (beams with ‘Bending’ = false), and integrate them into your shell mesh using Karamba3D’s ‘MeshBreps’-component. Their cross sections need to be very small, so that they do not influence the response of the shell. Then place a line-load on the truss elements. This should lead to nodal loads on the shell elements which are equivalent to a line-load.
Best,
Clemens

Dear Clemens,
I was able to obtain proper results using beams without bending as you suggested, however, the line load is not transfering to the shell. How can I mesh a line (not closed, thus not a brep) and a brep using the MeshBreps component (or any other component for that matter)?

Also, what if the line end points depend on the mesh, how can I mesh both without creating a recursive data stream?

Dear Mathieu,
try to subdivide the lines and use the subdivision points as input for ‘IPts’ of Karamba3D’s ‘Mesh Breps’-component (see the manual for details).
Best,
Clemens

Dear Clemens,
It worked, thanks!

Mathieu