Touchbar escape button

I’ve noticed and I am recently finding it incredibly problematic, that the escape ‘button’ on the Touchbar on my MacBook Pro doesn’t behave properly in Rhino (v5).

I’ve tested to see if it is a general bug or not by temporarily setting Caps Lock as escape. It then works perfectly.

The situation where I am experiencing it a lot and it is disrupting my workflow is that it will not deselect currently selected objects.

I have no idea why the software based escape button on the Touchbar would behave differently to a physical one, but that’s what is happening.

@dan @pascal any thoughts on this?

Hi @robinp-

That sounds weird. Thanks for reporting this. I admit, I’m not exactly sure what I would do to reproduce this but, before you explain it to us, I’d like to see if you can reproduce this behavior in Rhino 6 for Mac. I say this because we are not planning updates to Rhino 5 for Mac, unfortunately, so if this bug still exists in Rhino 6 for Mac, we would like to know about it. If it is present in Rhino 6, we can work to reproduce it.

Thanks

I have a 2017 13" MBP with the Touchbar running Mojave 10.14.6
I’ve experienced no issues at all in V5 or V6 Mac.

Never happened to me, but nevertheless I hate the touchbar escape. You hit it far to often while having your hand near to it. FWIW I found a little utility (don’t recall it’s name atm) that you can install to remap certain keys, so you can make another (physical) key the escape button.

Hi @dan

Thanks but I don’t think either of us want to revisit the debate about the Mac v6 upgrade situation.

In any case, while there are a few nice features in v6, I’m actually far happier with v5 having got back into it. It is so smooth in comparison.

Robin

Like so?:
system preferences > keyboard > special keys:

Yeah, I tried that but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t teach myself to use Caps lock instead. Just meant I didn’t have Caps lock.

I’ve mostly got used to using the soft escape key on the touchbar. But only when it is working. Still much MUCH prefer traditional keys.

Struggle really to see much benefit of the touchbar other than it looks pretty.

That’s fine. I was just hoping perhaps you could test to see if the fix was present for you in an evaluation version. Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely we will be issuing any more service releases for Rhino 5 for Mac.