Touch Bar support?

Hi @dan,

there seams to be interest in the new MacBooks Pro. So I’ve got the first support question about it: Will Rhino 5 for Mac support the Touch Bar?

Thanks and have a nice weekend

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com

1 Like

@marlin may be able to offer an answer here too.

Hi Michael-

Sorry for the delayed reply. I wish I had a good answer to that question, but I do not yet know. Marlin and I just got ahold of the new MacBook Pros with the Touchbar and we’re going to have to familiarize ourselves with the developer APIs that are available before we can make a determination.

-Dan

1 Like

Any updates?

@Emre_Bagdatoglu

what are your ideas on how to incorporate touchBar into Rhino for Mac?

the ones i’ve thought about though i don’t know how good they would be in actual use:

• being able to put Aliases up there… like, it says “Weight” and it runs my python script for calculating the weight of an object.

• osnap panel

• selection filter

• number slider in grasshopper

add-
or possibly use the touchbar to (optionally) replace some of the UI… say, the Views bar (Perspective,Top,Front,etc)… or the tool bar (Grid Snap, Ortho, Planar)…

(hmm… i actually might like an Ortho toggle in the touchbar… and probably some other toggles)

or it could house the standard icon row (or custom icon arrangement).

Hi @Emre_Bagdatoglu

Sorry, no updates yet. This will be a Rhino 6 for Mac issue, but not before then. I’ve added RH-39867 to the list. If you would like to get updates, please create a YouTrack login and then star that issue. If you do that, you will get email updates when the issue moves forward from Open, In Progress, Needs Testing, etc. If you would prefer not to watch the issue on YouTrack, that’s fine too - we’ll ask for your help testing in this topic once we have something to test.

Also, echoing @jeff_hammond, we’d love to hear ideas for how you’d like to make use of it.

Awesome!

Thank you for the reply!

Looking forward to 6

Best
Emre

For anyone interested, you can put rhino commands on the touch bar using BetterTouchTools. Any rhino command can be put up there. I have attached a photo for y’all.

8 Likes

Did the same using BetterTouchTool - ended up really using the Touch Bar a lot!

7 Likes

Hey Kevin!
Can you teach me a bit about this? I’m stacked at the “Assigned action(s)” command and cannot find my way to actually assign the command I want.
For instance, for the “Move” Command. I can only enter the letter ‘M’ …
Any help is appreciated.
Thx.

Hey M!
Can you teach me a bit about this? I’m stacked at the “Assigned action(s)” command and cannot find my way to actually assign the command I want.
For instance, for the “Move” Command. I can only enter the letter ‘M’ …
Any help is appreciated.
Thx.

Default.bttpreset.zip (30.5 KB)

Thats a sample of how to get you started. I would look over that and see if it can help you. Its been a while since I first wrote it and hardly use it as my Mac is typically docked and there’s no Touch Bar on my keyboard.

If I remember right,
it was “Type Custom Text”
then the command “_DIM” in the text box
then ensure insert text by typing option is selected
then an additional ‘action’ is used for the “enter”

hope this helps.

1 Like

Would you be willing to share your preset for bettertouchtool?