Tool palettes bug

I am confused. PopupToolbar is the new (for mac) command that should (does here) behave exactly like on Windows. No need to mess with ShowToolPalette at all.

-Pascal

Now I’m confused also :thinking: New command…? How new? It doesn’t seem to work here on 7.0.20266.16016, 2020-09-22 (PopupToolbar is an “unknown command” here). You must have a newer version. Anyway, that’s good news!
Thanks!

Philip

Hi Philip- I guess that should be in the beta from yesterday. Assuming that went out.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hmmm, doesn’t seem to work here in Version 7 BETA (7.0.20273.15004, 2020-09-29). Now it’s a command, yes, but Rhino still asks about “tool palette to pop-up” - and “popup” seems to be the wrong answer - I still get the menu, not the tool palette. So if I run this macro: _PopUpToolbar PopUp I get the menu. Still confused :thinking:

Screenshot 2020-10-01 at 17.52.13

Philip

Hi Philip,
I have the exact same problem with my Pop- up Toolbar in Version 7 Mac (7.0.20314.03002, 2020-11-09). It was not behaving like this at the beginning. Did you find a solution to your problem?

Martin

Hi Martin! No, sorry, I don’t have a solution to the problem. I have my pop-up toolbar permanently floating around (and always getting in the way). I guess we just have to wait for a working (Windows-like) pop-up toolbar…

I really like V7 - there are many great, new features - also smaller important tune-ups - but not having the pop-up working as in V6 (even if it wasn’t a “real” Windows-type pop-up) is, in my opinion, a major setback and workflow regression. I’m very disappointed, to be honest…

Philip

Thank you Philip. I totally agree with you. Hard to imagine that we are the only users with this issue. As soon as I find a solution, I will post it here.

Martin

1 Like

Yeah, that’s really strange… I hope they get the pop-up toolbar working ASAP.

Philip

1 Like

Any news on when we will get a real Windows-type popup in V7 (or a fix for the macro)? There also seem to be other users wondering about the same thing

Philip

1 Like

Not sure why this isn’t fixed yet. Most frustrating aspect of changing from Win to Mac.

1 Like

Yes, I also wonder… This problem is really being ignored (this thread is one year old). There has been some suggestions in this thread, but no real solution.

Philip

My limited understanding is, there is a fundamental difference between how mac and pc’s handle toolbars and pallets at the OS level. Win has a mechanism for doing this, mac does not.

@JohnM can elaborate on this at a much more intelligent level than I can-

The Mac tool palette system is not going to change for V7 and will continue to be different than the Windows tool palette system. We have plans to try to have Mac consume RUI files and behave similarly in V8.

4 Likes

Thanks, John. It may be my decaying faculties, but I SWEAR this used to work in V5:
_ShowToolPalette _ToolPalette=Popup _UnderCursor=YES _Enter
I’m still able to get work done, so this is hardly critical, but it would be swell if you can figure out a way to get us a Winders-style popup working,

Yes, it works the way it should in V6 also (popup palette not reappearing) - but not in V7…

Philip

1 Like

I’m sorry, but this is very disappointing.
Having to use this list as the popup…

…is so much less intuitive and difficult than having a tool palette with only icons.

Screenshot 2020-09-25 at 12.03.56

Philip

1 Like

RH-57945 and RH-65131 are fixed in Rhino 7 Service Release 10 Release Candidate

Nope - it’s NOT quite fixed yet @dan @JohnM

I still get the reappearing of the popup palette after finishing a command. Doesn’t matter if I use the macro (_ShowToolPalette _ToolPalette=Popup _UnderCursor=YES _Enter) in “Rhino preferences → Mouse → Run this Macro” - or go to "Window → Active Tool Palettes → Popup. The behaviour is the same as reported here - the popup palette reappears after the sequences outlined in that thread by @Eckhardt and myself. Please check again @dan .

If I use “Rhino preferences → Mouse → Popup this Toolbar” I just get the “non-wanted-list” again (see a few posts above in this thread)…

Could you guys also take a look and test it if you have time: @markleichliter @martinhoffmann1 @Eckhardt
Thanks!

Philip

Let’s work on this over in this topic: