ToggleActiveToolpalettes in Rhino 7 compared to Rhino 6 & 5

Yeah…

Philip

Please have patience with me. Let me try asking this again…

With regard to ToggleActiveToolPalettes, does this video :point_down: show the expected/desired behavior?

Logged RH-65131 Preferences > Tool Palettes > Hide tool palettes when starting commands: should exclude some commands.

Hi Dan, this video is almost complete the only thing that you need to do now is this:
Hit the screen edge (ToggleActiveToolPalettes) so that your “circle” tool palette reappears on the screen as in your above video.
Then select a command from the from the “circle” tool palette on your screen.
The desired behaviour should be that the “circle” tool palette hides and you can continue with / finish the selected command.
When the “circle” command is finished the “circle” tool palette should stay hidden.
You should then be able to select different commands e.g. the “line” command from the left menu bar (static) and draw some lines etc. or any other command input action.
If I now again hit the screen edge (ToggleActiveToolPalettes) then the hidden “circle” (or whatever active) tool palette should reappear. and a sequence as described above could be repeated.

This is what we are looking for in behaviour

1 Like

This!

Philip

…and same thing for the popup toolbar: no reappearing after finishing a command!

Philip

Thank you. I think we have finally gotten to the crux of this issue. I’ve made a comment here in RH-57945, as I understand it.

Hi @Philip and @Eckhardt

Can you please do a little testing for us?

Try this

1. Download this Rhino “build-of-the-day”.
  2. After opening the dmg, when you see the screen with the Rhino and the Applications icon, drag it to your Desktop instead. (Since this is not an official release of Rhino, I’d discourage you from installing and using this as your “stable” version of Rhino).
  3. Launch Rhino 7.10.21217.05002 on your Desktop.
  4. Navigate to Preferences > Tool Palette and verify that Hide tool palettes when starting commands is enabled (checked).
  5. Navigate to Preferences > Mouse > Screen Edges and set the left and/or right edges to ToggleActiveToolPalettes.
  6. Navigate to Preferences > Advanced and make sure that Rhino.Options.Advanced.LeaveFloatingPanelsHiddenOnMac is set to true (enabled/checked).
  7. Start a new modeling window.
  8. Navigate to Window > Active Tool Palettes and show any you desire (I tested with Circle and Popup here).
  9. Start and finish a command.

Does Rhino 7.10.21217.05002 behave as expected?

1. (optional, but recommended) Quit Rhino and drag the Rhino from your Desktop to the Trash.

Hi Dan,
Wow !! great work and this is almost what we had.
The main ( sequence ) behaviour as we described before is exactly what you build in this trial version, with one exception were the active tool palette still pops-up unwanted.
I try to describe below how to recall this unwanted behaviour.

1. Activate a floating tool palette e.g. circle
  2. Start and finish a command from the tool palette.
  3. Navigate to the screen side and activate ToggleActiveToolPalettes and show any active tool palette (I tested with Circle here).
  4. Start and finish a command from the tool palette.
  5. Now select an other command e.g Line from main menu
  6. Start and finish the command.
  7. Hit the “space-bar” on your keyboard to repeat the Line command
  8. Finish the command

Now the hidden “Active tool palette” (in this case Circle) appears suddenly.
This reappearing of the (hidden) active tool palettes happens after any other command that you repeat by the space-bar.
The active tool palettes should however always stay hidden until requested to reappear by the ToggleActiveToolPalette command.

If you can implement this also then I think we have covered the issue.

@Philiph
Do you see any other issues in the behaviour that I might have missed.

Best regards,
Eckhardt

1 Like

I haven’t had time to test yet - will try it today or tomorrow. However… I don’t see any mention of the popup command’s ‘misbehaviour’ (which was mentioned in those other threads). That’s the one that causes the most grief for me personally.

Philip

Ok, sorry @dan - you did mention the popup toolbar. However… I tested Rhino.Options.Advanced.LeaveFloatingPanelsHiddenOnMac (set to true) with a number of toolbars (also popup) - and the result isn’t yet quite what we would expect as @Eckhardt already mentioned above. These problems have been discussed a long time ago in this old thread (as I already mentioned). The new option Rhino.Options.Advanced.LeaveFloatingPanelsHiddenOnMac is working much better than the previous version mention in that thread, but it’s not perfect yet (doesn’t work like in V6 and WinRhino). Please take a look at the whole thread once more. Every problem related to floating panels is described there.

This is the problem with this new version. Also… If you follow the steps described by @Eckhardt above, but invoking the line command (in 5.) with an alias (I have: l = ! _Line) I get the reappearing of the circle tool palette already after 6.

As mentioned: The active tool palettes should always stay hidden until requested to reappear by the ToggleActiveToolPalette command.

Philip

RH-57945 and RH-65131 are fixed in Rhino 7 Service Release 10 Release Candidate

Nope, sorry guys - this is NOT fixed! You can very easily test it for yourself @dan. Just follow the steps @Eckhardt described:

Also see my reply above:

Once more:

Philip

Thank you @Eckhardt, I was able to reproduce the undesired behavior using the steps you provided. I reopened:

RH-57945 Preferences: Added advanced setting to suppress tool palettes reappearing after command completes

1 Like

Hi @Eckhardt -

We have done a bit more work. Please try these steps:

1. Download this new Rhino “build-of-the-day”.
  2. After opening the dmg, when you see the screen with the Rhino and the Applications icon, drag it to your Desktop instead. (Since this is not an official release of Rhino, I’d discourage you from installing and using this as your “stable” version of Rhino - same drill as before).
  3. Launch Rhino 7.11.21228.13002 on your Desktop.
  4. Navigate to Preferences > Tool Palette and verify that Hide tool palettes when starting commands is enabled (checked).
  5. Navigate to Preferences > Mouse > Screen Edges and set the left and/or right edges to ToggleActiveToolPalettes .
  6. Navigate to Preferences > Advanced and make sure that Rhino.Options.Advanced.LeaveFloatingPanelsHiddenOnMac is set to true (enabled/checked).
  7. Start a new modeling window.
  8. Navigate to Window > Active Tool Palettes and show any you desire (I tested with Circle and Popup here).
  9. Start and finish a command from the popup tool palette.
  10. Hide tool palettes by moving your mouse to the screen edge.
  11. From Rhino’s left-hand sidebar, start a command like Rectangle and complete it.
  12. Run the _Line command and complete it.

Are we making some progress here?

Hi @Dan, and team

This is Perfect! Thanks.
The toolpalette toggle behaviour is now working similar as in R6.
This makes my quick modelling tool-palette useful again.

@Philip
Does it also work for you when you use it with an alias?

best regards,
Eckhardt

1 Like

Great to hear. Thanks @Eckhardt for your testing and patience.

@dan , @Eckhardt

After a quick test: this seems to be working now! Also the popup from the MMB. Great! What a relief :+1:

Thanks!

Philip

1 Like

Wonderful! Thanks for confirming. It should show up in a Service Release Candidate in a little under a month, then in the stable Service Release after that.

Great! I think I’ll use this Rhino version till then :slightly_smiling_face:

Philip