Tips for working with many small objects?

Hello!

I’m working on a drawing of a cushion filled with open cell polyurethane foam. I’ve created a kind of foam texture using @pascal 's Sprinkler tool, which worked really well to illustrate the bubbles in the foam.

One of the issues I’ve been running into in my workflow lately is working with lots of small shapes that slow down Rhino and make using some commands inefficient simply because the program slows down. For example here i’d like to find a way to merge these bubbles, which I’d typically use something like CurveBoolean for, but it’s really slow since I’m working with around a hundred thousand curves. If I want to run the drawing through a laser engraver, for instance, it works better when there aren’t a bunc of overlapping hatches.

Any tips on working with something like this? I like having this kind of texture in the drawings and I like having it as vector linework but don’t love how much it tends to slow down the program. Screenshots and file below.

Best,
Paul

Here’s my file for reference

Hi Paul - I’d use an image as a texture here - I can’t see a win with individual objects, there is just too much overhead in the database. It might be possible to make a single mesh that approximates the shapes.

-Pascal

1 Like