Tile seamless, match srf won´t do it!

Really need some help to get this to tile seamlessly. I have tried to go from a grayscale image through Zsurf getting the best result but not 100% great. I have tried draping a mesh with not at all good result. Rhino´s heightfield is way more bad then Zsurf (really like that program). Have tried to match srf and then cut the tile afterwards but not working good either.
In one layer in attached file there are copy’s of srf so you can see that the srf´s not matching up edges.
Any help would really be appreciated.
Per
Tile_02.3dm (6.1 MB)

Did you try this method?

split one side edge given some distance shown in the picture and mirror over. blend to tile surfaces you will get mid part… Set to G2 looks fine to me…

Hi KevJin
And thanks for reply. But I did not wan´t to mirror the tile. You can see if you open the layer named “Joining Tile” how I want it to tile. And then your method just work for one tile not the three other sides.

You will need to use Add shapes option in blendsrf command.

Add shape line according to the surface flowing direction… iso direction…

Same method…

Yes, thats ok for one joint edge, but when I am going to make the opposing edge on the other side of the tile it will not be same, therefore not tileable. Have you opened the layer with the corresponding srf? Then you see the distribution of the tiles.

@perolalars

I made a vid but the file was too large that it would take really long time to upload in my early try. So I just reduced the vid contend and will be available soon. So, the method is the same as I said, the important thing is where you split faces which depends on how the shape flows. You can imagine this by just looking at the relationship between two surfaces.
Another thing I noticed was all surfaces were not aligned as the same height. I was confused which way I should follow.

Hi KevJin
And thank you so much for your effort! To answer your first question: No it is not supposed to align as it was. I was using the bounding box and maybe thats the reason for misaligning. Second its a lot of tweaking to get it right and still I am not convinced that the opposing edge will be exactly the same as the other one so they will not line up correct anyway… Maybe I have to go back to my grayscale image again. Tried that at first but no luck. The thing is the idea was to be able to make many more of these tiles, cnc cut them negativ and then cast them…And then its to much time to tweak just the edges…

The reason it looks ugly after blendsrf is that edge CPs are not at right position, meaning it cannot make good G2 continuity without modifying their positions. If you want to make final effort, you can try SelU SelV command, selecting first three raw of CPs, and align them to a plane, or planes, in which case, you make a plane for each raw of U and V direction. This will give you a better chance to have a nice result. If you type what command, you can see that CP numbers are different. There just too many CPs, I’m afraid you don’t want to try this way.

Yes I was thinking in those terms also. But it will even be a greater task to start tweaking the cp´s…

Just an update if anyone’s interested. I went back to the 2d image I was getting from the sw “Ready” https://github.com/gollygang/ready. In to Photoshop, selected color range and generated paths from the selection, exported to Illustrator, from Illustrator to Rhino for rebuilding and tweaking Crv so that they line up and for good continuity at the edges of the tile. Then back with the paths to Photoshop, filling with white on black background, and then a gaussian blur at about 3 pixels. Then importing the image into Blender, making a displacement with the texture, and finally back into Rhino for CAM-preparation. Its not completely perfect but the best result so far, and the minor misfit in tiling I can make disappear with some sanding-paper.
Just like to thank KevJin for all the time you put in trying to find a solution!

1 Like

You do know that Photoshop has a tool called OFFSET? It is perfect for making seamless tiles:
(example made just now for this)

Original:

Filter location:

Fix the seams:

Then offset back with reversed pixel values.

Result:
(Remember that this is a 1 minute hack to illustrate the point)

Hi Holo
And yes I know about the offset filter in Pshop, have tried it and it dont work, since the 2d image I get from Ready is not completely tileable. And I have already tried to repair it in Pshop and that is as hard as tweaking cp´s in Rhino.
But thanks for input