Three-week interdisciplinary Karamba3D online course
November 2–20, 2020
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 11:00–14:00 CEST
by Karamba3D hosted on the Microsoft Teams platform
The Karamba3D team invites architects, engineers, designers to participate in a three-week interdisciplinary course focusing on parametric structures and design. Participants will be asked to develop a designed structural object within the parametric environment of Grasshopper. Led by Clemens Preisinger, Zeynep Aksöz, and Mathew Tam, you will be guided through a series of tutorials in Karamba3D, design critiques, and review sessions.
What will you achieve by the end of the workshop?
- Learn the basics of using Karamba3D
- Design, develop, and optimize a structure
- Set up a parametric structural system using beam elements
- Create basic animations from Rhino/Grasshopper
- Create an interactive cloud model
The course will begin on November 2 and will last for three weeks. The final session and presentation will be on November 20.
There are three sessions a week – Monday, Wednesday, and Friday–from 11:00-14:00 CEST.
- Introductory lecture
- Basic setup with a cantilever beam
- Cross-section optimization with a simply supported beam
- Parametric truss with joints
- Grid-shells with eccentricities
- Develop a concept design
- Set up a parametric model
- Initial analysis in Karamba3D
- Loads, load cases, and load combinations
- Interpreting results
- Eigenmodes and natural vibrations
- Second order theory analysis
- Stability and global buckling analysis
- Creating simple animations in Grasshopper/Rhino
- Further develop design ideas and 3D model
- Detailed analysis in Karamba3D
- Optimization with Galapagos
- Multiobjective optimization
- Uploading a model to the cloud
- Optimization with the final structure
- Online exhibition
Course language and requirements:
The course will be in English. No prior knowledge of Karamba3D is required for this course. General knowledge of Rhino and Grasshopper is highly recommended.
Professionals (includesacademicstaff): 500 EUR +VAT (earlybird) | 600 EUR +VAT
Students (max.10places): 250 EUR +VAT (earlybird) | 300 EUR +VAT
Early bird rates until October 1, 2020. Maximum seats: 20. If there is no quorum, the course will be canceled on September 25.
Karamba3D 1-year licenses for non-commercial use will be provided to the participants free of charge.
Participants should have a working license of Rhino. You can download a three-month trial from the Rhino website.