Thicknes indicator like 'Shapeway's'

Hey guys, as the title already says.
I find myself measuring with little curves in Rhino to check for the various thickness of my model.
I find it pretty cumbersome, a color indicator like on shapeways site would be great.
Was hoping for a plugin to do this, does it exist?

Kind regards, Robert

I’m pretty sure the Rhino Mold plug-in did something similar. As far as I am aware, it has been discontinued, or at least is no longer on the TDM Solutions website. I had a demo a while ago and it was handy but I couldn’t justify the cost for a plug-in with an uncertain future.

(Wim Dekeyser) #3

Does this do what you need?
ThicknessAnalysis

Thanks… Will check it out anyway if I n find it :slight_smile:

Regards, Robert

Checking it already…
But it asks me if I want to wait for 20 hours, that doesn’t sound very practical. :wink:
Shapeways site does it in a few minutes, but the problem is that I need to go back and forth.
But I will wait a bit and see the result of it.

Thanks, Robert

PS I realised that I applied the command to a non converted Tspline object, but maybe it doesn’t matter.

(Pascal Golay) #6

It is not as slick as Shapeways…

-Pascal

If you built one NURBS surface in Rhino and then used the Surface → Offset, you get a second surface that is an exact distance you specified ± the file tolerance.

QUESTION: Is the process / plug-ins you described more for imported geometry?

I don’t understand the need to check for Rhino-created geometry.

What I often do here is run the Contour command with various orientations and then manually look for the thinner spots. Once you have zeroed in on those, you can refine it by running new sections just through those areas. It’s a bit manual but it does work and it’s reasonably fast.

Another way to visually check it is to set a couple of clipping planes parallel/opposite to each other, just leaving a relatively small distance between them. that will visually make a slice through your model, and you can quickly move that back and forth to see where the problem spots may be. Then cut some real sections through those areas and measure.

Edit:
Quickie video

–Mitch

Hi Dave,

Well I probably should have mentioned that I was referring to a model done in Tsplines.
So its difficult to predict where my surfaces are going to end up.

Thanks, Robert

(David Cockey) #10

Another approach which is mentioned in the link above is to create a set of points on one surface, and then use PointDeviation to check the distance of the points from the other surface. PointDeviation is usually fast - worst case I’ve seen with tens of thousands of points is a minute or so.

Methods to create points on a surface include:

a) Contour for contour curves on the surface. Divide for points on the contour curves.

b) Mesh the surface. ExtractPt for points at the mesh vertices.

(Pascal Golay) #11

PointDeviation should work directly off of a mesh - just fyi, to save a step.

-Pascal

(David Cockey) #12

Thanks, I keep forgetting that.

Some good advice here, thank you gentlemen… will look at them and try them out.

Kind regards, Robert