Thea render plugin: Some noob questions

i was using MC(presto)

however look at this image

http://www.mondoconv.it/Arredamento/Foto/Cucine/Moderno/Cucina-Oasi_7622_960.jpg

or this

the only light source seems to be the sun,from the window
with this light (omni type, in all directions) the other side is still clear without the help of other lights!
this is reality…
a diffuse light for illuminate, in basically way, a room…
if i put in a closed box with 2 apertures, a sun, also using brazil,the illumintation inside is not enough at all …
these not physical correct,right?or i’m wrong?

Sorry, unexpected job came in, won’t be able to help for a couple of days.
There is a tutorial about lighting in the forum I linked you to, maybe it can help you.

Cheers,

Tom

Did the new website pay off already? :wink:

-Willem

Yes :smile:

I just got confused by this too. The material presets don’t seem to be available in the Rhino material editor as shown in the Thea training videos. The demo version is 1.5.07.313.1446 . Anyone know if there’s been a change here or if the demo version is older? The Material editor in the videos is much simpler. This is what I see…

versus below which is shown in their videos

hi Brian!
can you check this:
using the last plugin of thea: TheaForRhino_v1.5.07.313.1446
and on board also brazil

can you controll if you can choose wich kind of renderer in rhino?
and if rebooting rhino your choise is saved as before?
i think the last thea plugin force rhino to use thea as default…and push the user to set it manually if a want to use other render program!

however in the images, there are 2 different thea version

the last is showed here ,versione number 1.5.07.313.1446

here is a previuous version in which you can choose a kind of material by that menu!

I can set the current Renderer to Thea and this choice is remembered but the material editor is never the simplified version. I guess they changed their plugin or the demo version is older than what is shown in the video training.

This happens also if you choose Brazil as default?

Yes, in the latest update they included almost the whole Thea material editor directly into Rhino, so the old, simple one is gone. I personally never ever used it anyway but it may have been helpful for beginners.

You can directly select factory material presets if you click on the folder icon in the “Schema” header. The icon with the material next to it opens the full Thea Material Editor (which I usually prefer and which still has many controls that the integrated editor does not have).

The videos are outdated by this change - hopefully they can re-create them, since this is a pretty massive change, even if I personally think it’s for the better in the long run.

Just finished a massive job in Thea and it handled it really well.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for confirming the change. I discovered the folder option as well but think the basic editor is better for beginners. I was happy to see it in the videos as it reminded me of the Maxwell material assistant.

Yeah, I do this kind of stuff for too long so I’m probably the wrong guy to appreciate it :wink:

Drop the devs a line on the Thea forum in the Thea 4 Rhino group. Maybe they are open to build in a toggle between the two - basic and expert or something like that.

I’m a fan of more options too but I was considering Thea for some students… they’d have an easier time with the basic editor I think. A toggle was actually the first thing I started hunting for. We did this for the Brazil for Rhino plugin.

Ot
How is the Brazil development?still stuck at 2013 ?
Or the staff is handling plugin for some new features…like gpu render or network rendering ?

@andy is the lead Brazil developer. He can say more about any plans.

I see what you mean now. No, Thea always remains the active renderer if I switch to something else and then close/restart Rhino. I load protected Thea to fix this. I haven’t seen it before so I think it’s a Thea bug… not sure who to report that to on their end.

Splutterfish was acquired by Caustic Graphics in 2008,[5] which was later acquired by Imagination Technologies in December 2010.[6] Imagination Technologies announced Brazil’s end-of-life, effective May 14, 2012.[7]

I think this is why both Neon and Brazil is being replaced by Cycles in Rhino 6. Unfortunately.

The previous plug-in become without that bug
Happens only using the last one.

Bug Reports, feature requests etc. usually go to the T4R subforum:
https://thearender.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=62&sid=6ab1e5c443313313b810c67d65092453

I don’t use any other renderer with Rhino so am not bothered by this bug :wink:

As for simple options: I find it a two sided sword - on one hand such quick presets may be nice, but I then sometimes read that people think the renderer is too primitive - they never found the real power behind the system or didn’t bother. Even the current, much deeper integration is a bit of a pain as soon as you deal with texture projections or layers. I’d rather have the ability to leave the Thea material editor open all the time in a non modal way.
But I’m the type of guy who switches every tool into “expert mode” if there is one :wink:

Cheers,

Tom

Simple question - where are Thea materials? I don’t seem to have any … or I don’t know how to access them. I’m trying out the demo.

If I go through my Materials panel and select New Material under Start from scratch I get a Thea Material option. Selecting that just gives me a blank material called Thea Material

That is basically to create a new material from scratch, but such a Thea material also shows all the settings and library access icons for Thea, so it is the starting point for everything else.
For access to the library you can either open the native Thea material editor (which is what I use) with the first icon in the title of the “Schema” group in the material panel when a Thea material is selected. That is both full blown editor and library access in one window. You should have some basic materials in there already.
Or you can use the second icon in that header to access a separate library windows for Thea materials only (I never use that, I find the native one much more powerful).
But of course you can also set up your material right in the integrated material editor, just be aware that it is missing many critical things, like mappings, texture sizes etc.

You can download many more materials either through the updater application that you find in the Rhino menu -> Thea Render -> Update or through the Thea forum where there is a dedicated area for user downloads.
I don’t know how many of those are accessible for demo users though.
Solid Iris regularly posts new libraries, recently there came new structured plastics and some days ago semitransparent plastics. Really good and usable stuff.

There also is a material exchange site: http://www.thearender.media/site/home.php
But be aware that Solid Iris uploaded all their materials there too, so you may have those already.

So how I work is that I create a new Thea Material (either the way you did it, from the Thea toolbar or from the command line “TheaNewMaterial” - may be a good idea to create a shortcut for that) and then I usually access the native Thea Material editor, where I have all the folders I normally use laid out as I like them. A doubleclick selects a material from that library (I usually start out from something existing and then tweak away). “Accept” then gives you that material in the slot you had selected in Rhino.

I also usually set the Preview -> Room to unbiased, that gives you a much better feel for the material than the dead looking default material ball, especially if you work with one of the unbiased modes (Presto MC, TR1 etc.).
There are also nice preset rooms for Cloth, Floor and Wall.

There currently are some bugs with material thumbnails where you may get a wrong preview or none at all, I already reported it and hope they can fix it soon.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Tom