The three problems of Grasshopper

grasshopper

If anyone can help me with any one of these three problems, I would most appreciate it.

(David Rutten) #3

That’s not Mars! That’s Earth, I’d recognise it anywhere.

1. Yep, no names are replaced by auto-generated labels. If you assign an actual custom name it will persist. If you really want unlabelled inputs, you’ll have to use a Space.
  2. I don’t understand what “letters” refers to. If you mean that it’s difficult to interpret text and especially symbols when they are at 90 degrees, then I agree. You cannot modify the initial state of a component, but you can create an instance of that component, assign it some values and save it as a user-object.
  3. Names are plain-text, not rich-text, so you are not allowed to add formatting to names. There are however plenty of special characters in the unicode spec if you want to add some spice.
    chars

(Wim Dekeyser) #4

At the risk of not being on-topic:
I often try to add units in square brackets to names - like this:

But when hitting Alt Gr to combine with 8 to get [, I’m thrown out of the name editor. Can that be fixed in GH2? I see that Alt Gr lets you interrogate components to check where they reside in the toolbar - but Ctrl + Alt does the same thing.

… or is that Win OS that is doing that? I see that e.g. in Notepad, using Ctrl + Alt + 8 gives [. Not so in MS Word™ though.

(David Rutten) #5

Alt has a strong correlation with menus in windows. It will tend to switch focus over to the main menu, which is problematic when a context menu is on screen as that will close itself automatically when it loses focus.

I’m not sure to what degree we have more control over this in Eto, but I have been generally unhappy with the finickiness of textboxes inside menus.

(Wim Dekeyser) #6

Yes. But what about AltGr? That doesn’t trigger focus on menus in regular Win OS.

US English keyboards don’t have an AltGr… the [ and ] are to the right of P

(Wim Dekeyser) #8

I guess, then, that on a US English keyboard, the AltGr (nonexisting) key doesn’t cancel typing a [.
;ø)

Perhaps the problem can be solved for other keyboards anyway?

(David Rutten) #9

What will solve the problem is voice-recognition. Unfortunately last I checked that’s actually not that easy to implement in winforms apps. The MS apis for voice seem to change with every version of Windows.

(Lahos) #10

I agree.
I have a french keyboard and [alt gr] is vital.
Particularly in Grasshopper, it is a turnoff.
Everywhere [ ],{ } are necessary, context menu kicks me out. (to set path, to set the new series object [N+1][N+2],…)
I must copy the character elsewhere, come back and paste it.

regards

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #11

FWIW, AltGr = right Alt

Inserts inappropriate N.Willmore pun