The thickness of an object when importing from rhino 3d to cura to print in 3d

Hi

I am very new to Rhino and have been designing a specific object on the software. I have a few questions to do with the printing.

Firstly I am wondering how the thickness of printing an object is determined within the software, for instance when I extrude a shape, how thick does it print when both solid and not? I have found the printing thickness but what does it actually mean and what is it measured in?

Secondly, if not all of the objects are connected will the object still be able to print in 3D?

Finally, if you join or use booleanunion, will the objects be connected in the printing process?

Thanks

David

Here’s a good series of tutorials on this subject that should help.

Solid objects don’t have a thickness so they would print as a solid piece. If you use Shell or model the thickness with OffsetSrf or OffsetMesh when the surface is open that will define the thickness.

Regarding overlapped versus Booleaned objects and which is better… this has a lot to do with the printer used and the upfront software that runs it. I would always make objects closed if you want to print them.