The rhino-python package for the Atom text editor and Rhino for Mac

So, how to revert to 1.1, got 2.0.12 autocomplete-plus here at home.

open a terminal window and type:

apm uninstall autocomplete-plus
apm install autocomplete-plus@1.1.0

Done and Thanks

Reinstalled ATOM with no issues after deleting that folder. I may have been an old version of Atom I had installed last fall.

Thanks to all - Randy

So, I am unable to get autocomplete-plus to work - the installed version was 2.1.6, so I uninstalled that (via atom) and tried to install 1.1.0, but no go.

In terminal I get “Command not found” when I type either one of the following:

apm uninstall autocomplete-plus
apm install autocomplete-plus@1.1.0

And I thought Windows installs were complicated…

–Mitch

From the main Atom menu select ‘Install Shell Commands’ then try the apm shell commands again.
Let me know if that works.

That allowed me to uninstall and install 1.1.0, although i had to go into the package manager in Atom and hit the install button again from there. Now autocomplete plus 1.10 is installed, but unfortunately no change, like before, still doesn’t autocomplete.

–Mitch

Hitting the install button after you installed it from the command line probably messed things up. If you switched back to an Atom window that was opened before you ran your commands you should then close it an open a new one or reload (ctr-alt-cmd-l) it.

Atom is evolving rapidly and hopefully soon all these package management problems will be much easier to deal with.

Alain

Well, I did that because it wasn’t working before that either - in the hopes that it would fix things. Will try some more…

just to be sure.
are you using a .py file in atom? is rhino open with StartAtomEditorListener?

Yes. After starting and restarting about 4 or 5 times, it seems to have started working now… Don’t ask me why…

Anyway, this just to test to see if it works, as I will virtually always be developing on my Windows box, I have a network shortcut to my Mac/Scripts folder (shared it), so I can just save a copy of my script there for testing after it’s running on Windows.

Now I would like to be able to set the default scripts folder on Mac to be one of the folders in my Dropbox…

–Mitch

The gremlins again, suppose …

I agree. I wonder if an Alias subfolder in default OSX Rhino Scripts folder from a Dropbox folder …

That Folder Links To This One …

Now I would have to figure this out for my Windows machine as well. Don’t have one here at home, try at work tomorrow.

fwiw «Randy

It’s easier… Sorta. Open the Python editor and under Tools>Options>Files tab, set a path to your desired folder.

However, the powers that be seem to have decided that the Editor should look in the last-used directory as a default rather than letting the user set a fixed default directory. So if you happen to load or save a script from/to somewhere else than your designated folder, that’s where it will open the next time… I do wish for a hard default similar to the one Rhino used for templates…

–Mitch

Right, so in Windows is there a default folder for python scripts ? I seem to remember from the old Rhino-Python site it mentioning one. I haven’t scripted in Windows much. I may have some time next week.

Thanks again

Well, as I said, sorta… You can set as many paths in there as you want. Unfortunately, the paths do not parse subfolders…

So if you have one folder in which you dump all your python scripts, and you set a path to that in the editor, then setting up an alias like

! _-RunPythonScript "MyScript"

where MyScript is the file name, it should find the script and run.

For me it’s unfortunate that it doesn’t do subfolders, as my Python scripts folder has about 50 subfolders with well over 500 scripts and growing. It’s still smaller than my collection of VB scripts.

–Mitch

1 Like

That really don’t like the idea of just crawling sub-folders. You can always run a script in a subfolder using standard python ‘dot’ syntax

! _-RunPythonScript “mysubfolder.myscript”

Yeah, but if I need to specify what subfolder it’s in, I may as well program the entire file path… :smiling_imp:

I’m finding the autocomplete rather overwhelming and a bit too “strong”… I’m used to using Enter as confirming the selection (as works in both the Windows editors). I set this in autocomplete plus settings. However, if I write import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs, it insists on trying to find an autocomplete for rs… which includes pretty much ANYTHING that includes the letters rs somewhere in the phrase. And as I want to end the line after rs, I hit Enter and it autocompletes… something… which I didn’t want.

–Mitch

As you’ve already found you can change the suggestions confirmations key bindings to ‘tab’, ‘enter’, or ‘tab and enter’.

The completions that come from content in your existing document comes from a built-in provider that comes with autocomplete+. You might like it once you get used to it but if not you can turn it off with the “Enable Builtin Provider” under autocomplete+ settings.

Hmm, I didn’t/don’t find that setting. I see “Include Completions from All Buffers”, but that’s not checked. Other than that I don’t see anything about “providers” in autocomplete plus settings… :confused: