The Future of Rhino Render?

i really have no idea why you doubt that this would be still my concern. i believe nobody would say anything against that. maybe i should reduce the amount of words i use.

reading some comparison between a few render engines, cycles was not upon the fastest, and by far not upon the best quality either. it basically needs almost the same time as maxwell to deliver an aproppriate result and then it still looks grainy. yes maxwell is also grainy but delievers superb quality in the end and seems to be much faster with the GPU rendering now. grainy pictures is also mostly what i could dig up generally looking for some images about cycles. a really good quality render in high res made in cycles is hard to find and probably takes forever. the denoiser may help in keeping the rendertime low in future, but i am a bit tired of trying to find some information about some decent results.

i dont have doubts that the engine may catch some fire one day, but currently its not what i would wish to have and in the end you will have invested a lot of time in this “new” rhino render having learned nothing for yourself other than copy pasting or did you invest in some own development already? if you had invested this time into your own engine entirely you might have ended up with something even better or as pointed out before more tailored to rhinos needs. but we will never know, because the next time you guys redecide to catch up on some groundbreaking changes it will be many many years from now.

and yes caustics are an important point for realistic glas and water renderings. the noisy interior images you linked me to instead are not a very convincing argument.

Since you are a visual guy, let me put it to you visually:

Or if you are into visual communication (and film quotes):
“If my aunt had wheels she would have been a f*'n bike!”
It’s the past, cycles works and will evolve and they have the will to further develop it within Rhino.

5 Likes

For cycles, as GPU is getting faster and cheaper thanks to the gaming/mining cluster.
I’m sure in the years to come, it’d be the way to go rather than depending on CPU for processing.

I don’t know how the rendering speed goes against other renderers, but comparing the cost to get another render engine solution that may add hundreds of dollar to the cost of Rhino itself may not be suitable for those who have their render engine of their liking.

For denoising, there seems to be lots of tuning that can be done. Maybe not accessible yet in the rhino cycles, but I’m sure @nathanletwory is working on it =) . And as below link is from couple years back, there’s probably better solution for the noises

just a little remark here:
to my knowledge, mining is the reason why the prices of grafic cards (especially amd radeon RX470,480,570,580) have skyrocketed over the last year.

right, I take it back

1 Like

I decided to spend a little time on testing Cycles on glass and liquids and ended up with modelling a simple coffe maker.
Default setup + 3 rectangular lights, one to the left, one to the right and one above. Lights at 27% strength.
I would really like an exposure slider for the view so I could add more lights and adjust the exposure while it renders instead of having to adjust the intensity of all lights and let the renderer start over for each adjustment.

Oh, and have I mentioned that I miss the cycles renderer option ( :wink: ) and that I don’t like viewcapturetofile for production? It just doesn’t cut it as a good solution for producing images.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think that viewcapturetofile is quite cumbersome even for advanced users, it’s not intuitive at all. So imaging new users trying to save a render

1 Like

I complained about this over here as well.

what I wrote there might have been a bit harsh. I guess since the mcneel team decided to leave the production cycles renderer out of v6 and only bring it to the viewport, @nathanletwory had to find a spot in the ui where he could sneak it in. the big problem here is, that rhino’s ui needs to be redesigned from the ground up.

1 Like

Does anyone know if it’s possible to grab a screen shot of the Raytraced viewport as is?
At least then you can use the viewport as the render window instead of having to resample everything and also not see the result, I an object selected and the highlight also got rendered

viewcapturetofile and then use the viewport resolution and an iteration that is equal to or lower than the current one for the viewport.

1 Like

Thanks @Holo did not know that!

now there we have it: a perfect example of how much the rhino UI fails.
@Toshiaki_Takano is probably an experienced user, but still, that was all but obvious for him. neither it was for me.