The dusk of the term NURBS "surfaces"!?


in a recent thread it was suggested and discussed that the word surface might or might not describe the NURBS surface well and since the idea of finding a most neutral and vastly elaborate designation seemed interesting and challenging, i decided to make a little list below.

a few words may seem misplaced, still they have a link if you search a little deeper, also some have the same root, but have slightly different associations.

be aware that NURBS surfaces not always describe an object of design and engineering, but can also be any kind of fluid gas or maybe “an area of interest” or even a “set” of any kind (mathematical, biological, etc) so please be welcomed to pick a word, choose wisely and add any kind of comment, suggestions amendments or criticism. it might be interesting to get at least a couple of votes together.

i had to split the poll in 2 parts, due to the site restrictions.

pick 1 contender in total

  • Arc
  • Area
  • Barrier
  • Border
  • Boundary
  • Bow
  • Brim
  • Coat
  • Enfold
  • Envelope
  • Expanse
  • Face
  • Flat
  • Foil
  • Front
  • Interface
  • Lamina
  • Limes
  • Limen
  • Margo

0 voters

  • Membran
  • Plane
  • Plate
  • Proximity
  • Screen
  • Skin
  • Space
  • Spread
  • Stretch
  • Superficial
  • Surface
  • Tensile
  • Tension
  • Threshold
  • Tissue
  • Top
  • Topology

0 voters

(Jakob Normand) #2

I don’t see thingamabob, doohickey or whatchamacallit on the list. Surely, that’s a mistake?


(David Rutten) #4

I don’t see Locus either, i.e. the family of all the points that satisfy the (nurbs) equations.


We could even make it “LocusT” to fit with the animal theme… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

…or Locus(t) even…