The case of a vacuum cleaner

Hello

While I am trying to learn python, grasshopper, and finally GH.Python (sadly programming is fugacious and escapes from the mind. After I study and exercise a lot, I forget the previous lessons, and have to go back to the early chapters. It seems there is no end to this way, or maybe my mind doesn’t help me anymore.) I sometimes model an object in Rhino.

This is a vacuum cleaner that I modeled tonight for one hour and a half.
Of course, I wanted to create a sweeper robot in which one of its hands works as a vacuum and the garbage bag is in its chest, but because it took time a lot, I ignored the project and preferred to be satisfied with an ordinary vacuum cleaner. Of course, it is my own designation, and I didn’t imitate an existing one.

It takes time to absorb all these new concepts. It took me at least a couple of years to get to the point, where I am now. Exercise and be patient!
If you have trouble remembering stuff, why not take notes?

1 Like

You are right, senior

One of my faults is that I try to keep things in my mind without taking notes.

My second mistake is that I study hasty and covetously to learn python or grasshopper in a short time without emphasis on a subject to memorize the contents stably!

I wonder why I did forget the simplest things, like your last advice about taking notes from the lessons.

That is what I will follow strictly hereafter. I will take a pen and paper to the table and note the necessary things. I hope it works and aids my busy and confused mind!

Thank you a bunch :slight_smile:

Basic programming is best learned by doing programming. By solving problems.

You read a book once about syntax and concepts and then put the book away.

When you do programming, then you look up the details you have forgotten.

You learn programming by doing programming over and over again, not by trying to memorize
books! :wink:

// Rolf

1 Like

Yes, senior

It is the best-experienced method of learning programming. Now, I’m doing the same but with a little difference.

I am using both studying and exercise simultaneously. I hold a page of instructions (with code examples) on the screen while using a Python IDE. I copy the instants, paste them into the editor and analyze them ( or sometimes change the names and variables) to understand the operations.

I have had a bit of progress in this way. Now, I work on the “def” function, which is a significant function of python. Then, I will work on “classes”, “importing modules” and so on. If I become more familiar with coding in python, I will progress faster in the next steps.

Of course, memorizing the terms and order of the codes are important issues, and I should memorize them along with the exercise gradually.

Thank you for your good guidance :slight_smile:

Try to solve real problems. Your own small problems.

The point is to learn how to approach a problem and then look for solutions to solve it.

Examples tends to tire you out. Books typically are “read once and put aside” (until you have your own real problem, then you will recall you had read something like that… the you look it up and…).

Again: Try to solve real problems. Your own small (seemingly) simple problems.

Only when you try solve your own real problems (small and simple problems to begin with), only then it will start to make real sense. The point is for you to start apply programming (text book authors already know how to) :wink:

// Rolf

1 Like

Thank you, senior :slight_smile:

I will follow your advice certainly