The best way to identify layers without objects to delete?

When I import DXFs from Cinema there are many layers with no objects. Therefore I had to select every layer and ask “select objects in layer”. If there are non I can delete them. Is there a faster way to do this?
I think this is not only a Mac problem.

• in the layers panel, select all the layers except the active layer… (click the first one then hold Shift and click the last… all those in between will select)

• right-click -> Delete

• you’ll get a prompt "Object on layer… are you sure you want to delete?"
click ‘cancel’

the layers with objects on them will stay-- the empty layers will delete.

(obviously, try this on a duplicate file first)

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the fast reply. Don´t work with the current layer (and detects only the last selected layer obviously only one layer. Mac thing?)

Edit: Sorry. Works. Result was mutch more than expected

Actually, it is… Windows Rhino has a filter function in the layer dialog which can filter either empty layers or layers with objects - so you just show only empty layers and select all/delete. Not implemented in Mac (yet).

Here is a script which will delete all empty layers in the document (except current layer if it is empty):

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs
layers=rs.LayerNames()
for layer in layers:
    if rs.IsLayerEmpty(layer): rs.DeleteLayer(layer)

DeleteEmptyLayers.py (130 Bytes)

–Mitch

4 Likes

Thanks Mitch. The method of Jeff works ecept for the current layer.

Usually, when I import dxf or dwg from other programs, I run a “Purge” so you’ll delete in a single hit all empty layers, empty block definitions, dim styles unused… etc. etc.
The “current layer” won’t be removed 'cause Rhino assume you are using it.
Ciao!

To delete layers without deleting objects, one simple way is to :

Be present in the “Default” layer.
Then select all object you want to remove out of layers in the viewport > Right click over default layer and say “change object layer”. All the layers without blocks in them will now be kaput. Delete them.
Now, you can re-asssign the layers to objects from the default layer.