Text tool for Rhino 6 not working

Rhino 6 SR3 2018-3-13 (Rhino 6, 6.3.18072.11251, Git hash:master @ c0a2028629d3ed3a538f0854c8ba021ae8c678b7)

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 7.9Gb)

Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (OpenGL ver:4.2.0 - Build 10.18.10.3308)

OpenGL Settings

Safe mode: Off

Use accelerated hardware modes: On

Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x

Mip Map Filtering: Linear

Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel

Render version: 4.2

Shading Language: 4.20 - Build 10.18.10.3308

Driver Date: NA

Driver Version: NA

Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384

Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits

Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Total Video Memory: n/a

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Out of curiosity, on your machine with the GTX, do you have GeForce experience installed?

For the GTX 1070, Nope not yet. But did it now. Also updating the driver now. On the other it’s the 750Ti it’s not installed.

Updating driver and run GeForce experience at least render problem got solved. Runs stable now. J

Ha, that is kinda funny. I was hoping it was installed and interfered with Rhino, in which case I would have suggested turning it off… But if it does make (some) thinks work I guess you should leave it in.

Reinstalled Rhino one more time. Text problem stays. No clue what I could or should probably copy from the other computer to get it run.

Did you try to set the font in the dimension style to something other than the default Arial?
Before you start the text command.

I click on changing dimension style and immediately Rhino crashes.

I think we have found some useful exception reports related to your problems. I think they are being handled at the moment.

Good morning Sascha,

this seams to be the same problem, I have reported here:

Cheers

Michael

Crashes also when changing background settings in render settings. Might be a conflict of flamingnXt55 and Rhino

Exactley like that.

I’m seeing a few errors reported from your system related to the Text command and am beginning to wonder if this is a .NET framework related issue. I would like to figure out which version of the .NET framework is running on this machine. Could you go to

I’m interested to know what the value is for the Release key as shown in the regedit screenshot in the following article. The regedit screenshot is the only part of the following article that I’m interested in.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed

Like that?

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping that you had an older version of the .NET framework installed, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

@JohnM does this bug look related to the annotation crash work that you were investigating this week?

This is the Microsoft article that talks about the bug introduced in the Windows 7 update and includes a fix. The problem is related to the Windows update corrupting a .NET installation and causing font controls to potentially cause a crash. Please take a look at this document and give the fix a try.

That’s it. Thank you John. All text tool, text object and leader work now properly. So easy. Go on with the good work.

Sascha

1 Like

Wow! That is great news. We were really scratching our heads over what could possibly be happening on your system.

Hello folks – seems that we are running into this issue on a fairly large number of our machines but only after launching a very sophisticated Grasshopper definition with a ton of UI and document listening/interaction. We are running Windows 10 and it’s now over 2 years since this issue was raised, and the original issue didn’t seem to involve GH. Any thoughts on whether this is likely still a corrupted .NET issue before I dig into this?

Would appreciate any advice you might have on debugging. I tried the various tests in this thread and it appears that the command is failing to open the options window but the various python scripts and _- command line tools succeed in generating text, etc.

Note: My .NET version is 4.8 and exhibiting the bad behavior.

Thanks,
Marc

Hi Marc - can you please start a fresh thread with the symptoms you see, and any additional information or details? I’d rather not prolong a two year old thread, things have changed a lot.

thanks,

-Pascal

1 Like