Text/Dimensions are Slow in Rhino 7

I’m experiencing this lag issue as well:
When the properties tab is open, Rhino 7 freezes for a approx. 1 second. then freezes again when deselecting text.

I have:

• The relevant fonts installed in Windows.
  • Updated to the most recent release candidate.

For me this is still an issue, I have everything up to date, all the fonts installed and the problem persists.

Rhino 6 works fine though.

Hi,
We’re investigating this right now.

Hi, any luck on this? I am having the same issue on two totally different machines. I am always having to do text edits in Rhino 5 and paste them into R7 files.

Hi Mike can you please try the 7.6 release candidate, if you have not?

You can get the fixed, I hope, (7.6) version by changing the ‘Update frequency’ in Options > Updates and Statistics page to ‘Service release candidate’

-Pascal

hi Pascal, I have this one:
(7.6.21117.9001, 2021-04-27)
Commercial

darn. Mike, can you verify that it all works more cleanly if the Properties panel is not open? I’ll see if I can find at what point this was supposedly fixed - I know I tested some stuff related to this myself recently.

-Pascal

oh yeah, works no problem with the properties bar closed, but I use the properties bar all the time

For the record, I still have this problem as well

I was able to speed it up a bit by cleaning up my fonts folder. deleting duplicates, and unused fonts (embarrassingly, it was probably in the hundreds). Still obviously slower than rhino 5 or 6 though

Hi Mike and Justin -

Would you say that the delay in Rhino 7 is somewhat under 1 second or so? Or is it much more?
-wim

I just opened a new document, created text and clicked on it. The delay was 8 seconds.

It also freezes rhino for a few of those seconds (where the screen appears faded)

hi Wim, I did a similar test as Justin (started new document with no template) and it is about 1.5s for me since clearing out all the fonts. Font doesn’t seem to matter (arial, helvetica, etc.)
Doesn’t really seem to freeze rhino though.

Hi! Experiencing the same issue here… I am on Rhino 7.5 When I was on Rhino 6 text, dimensions, leaders etc was working with no lag at all. I’ve tried different fonts and I got the same lag. This happens like the others only when properties panel is open… Maybe this bug has to do with the number of fonts installed in Windows? In another PC I tested it that has only the regular pre-installed windows fonts the lag is not present…

I’ve installed Rhino 7.6 and its still very laggy when selecting text or dimensions and you have the properties panel open. I have to wait about 2-3 seconds, sometimes more, for properties to load. Very annoying issue indeed.

@dimitrissot - That’s interesting about the number of installed fonts having something to do with the delay.
Just to be sure - Does the same file work without delays on a computer with just standard fonts installed and have delays on a computer with more fonts installed?
If that’s true, can you please run TestListFonts on the computer with lots of fonts and copy the output to a txt file and post it? I would like to see more specifically what we’re dealing with. Thanks

Hi Lowell, I will install all the fonts from my work pc to the other pc with only the pre-installed fonts and i will let you know. Thanks!

Problem solved!. I uninstalled all the third party fonts installed in my pc (which where about 2000!) and now properties panel loads fast when selecting text. Dimensions, leaders etc also no lag. I deleted all the fonts in windows control panel and windows keeps the default system fonts so no hustle on deciding which font to keep. So the culprit was that the properties panel wants to load all the installed system fonts before showing the interface. Hope that helps other people that have the same issue!

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s good to hear

Hi, if this seems to solve the problem, this is another problem, because I need all those fonts for other purpose. Can’t we disable the Text Edit Properties panel instead ? This way, we could only edit the text block by double-clicking on it, which is fast enough.