Testing new QuadRemesher

When we were testing this feature we also had difficulties with simple geometries like that with hard edges. Is this problem already adressed?

Hi - we won’t know that unless you provide a 3dm file with geometry that you are running into problems with.
Also include the result from the Rhino SystemInfo command so that we know which version you are using.
Thanks,
-wim

Sorry, I am no longer practicing at this place, so I don’t have an access. I spotted something similar and I was just curious.

We want to Rhino 7 for mac with this epic tool ! :slight_smile:

Well… that’s just a download away, isn’t it?
-wim

yes … thank you. ! :slight_smile: its perfect!

On mac build is working guide curves command in QR? …

Had an excuse to download WIP 7.0 yesterday - as I was sent a file that was a candidate for using a quad-remesh work flow.

Can’t show the actual file, but here is an example of using the Quad-remesh to get an object that converts into a T-spline (and in the future Sub-D) work flow.

The Quad-remesh converted to a very workable T-spline file, much better than anything else I have tried.

The output polysurface here is a little messy - I would clean up the star point locations to give a cleaner layout BUT that is not hard work and for what was a very quick test these results are AMAZING.

I’m looking for to the SubD tools matching my Tsplines work flow - NEED Axial Symmetry before there is any chance of moving on.

Cheers

DK

190823_Quad Remesh to Tspline.3dm (6.0 MB)

3 Likes

Hi,
I need the same workflow as you with tsplines. I need to convert complex mesh into a subd and then into nurbs polysurfaces as Tsplines done before. Do you think that QuadRemesh will do exactly the same ? By converting subD into patches ? I don’t want to use Fusion 360 for that, it was so good to have this kind of conversion into Rhino. I wish to find a solution. Thank you

Hi Emmanuel - I’m not sure what the exact question is. QuadRemesh doesn’t convert SubD’s into patches. QuadRemesh is for creating regular quad meshes out of triangulated meshes.
-wim

Hi Wim, thank you. My question wasn’t exact. I 'm searching a workflow to convert a complex mesh into nurbs polysurface (with patches). I tried SubD and then converted my object into nurbs but there were to many surfaces. In fact, I understand that one polygon become one nurbs surface. Tsplines was good for doing that, by adding (condensing) surfaces into patches. Do you think it should be possible to do the same, directly in Rhino ?

It should be possible or already doable to merge quads using singularities as frontier. Then theses merged quad could be transformed to SubD/Surface.
The closest I find is Kangaroo tools, Stripper that divide a mesh in strips.
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Wei_Chen532/publication/329362712/figure/fig1/AS:699598603579392@1543808713205/A-quad-mesh-with-4-and-8-singularities-on-a-genus-2-surface-The-red-curves-are-the.ppm
It seems a good topolgy exercice to make such a tool.

I did once make a script to trace the separatrices out from the irregular vertices and split the mesh with these, but the issue is that in general the irregular vertices from the current quad remesher do not line up nicely, so the separatrices spiral around and split the mesh into many patches instead of the small number you would get if the mesh came from subdividing an initial coarse quad mesh.

5 Likes

Thanks @DanielPiker so it is not just about topology :thinking:. A more complex approach is needed. @Trav Is it on the roadmap of quadremesher ?

Hi Emmanuel - as things are in the current Rhino 7 WIP, not really. But we are actively working on technology to have ToNurbs create bigger patches from SubD patches. The YT items are visible to developers only but the current release target for those is 7.0.

@laurent_delrieu - it’s on the roadmap for the ToNurbs command but we are also always looking for ways to improve QuadRemesh. Note that the use of good guide curves is very important here.
-wim

1 Like

This is where Guide Curves and Symmetry are helpful. The auto topology is always being improved for different geometry complexities but I’m not sure it’ll ever solve 100% of the time exactly the way you might like it. @pierrec Pierre is working on some magic that should greatly enhance the NURBS patch output.

1 Like

Thank you Wim. I wish you could find a solution to that problem because I think it’s essential nowdays to be able to convert topologies. Everyday I need a solution to convert my Zbrush mesh for example or my displacement mesh into a nurbs object. I tested a lot of softwares, tools, workflows but I never found an easy and fast solution. Tsplines was good and I don’t want to buy Fusion only for that need…

As Travis said, Pierre is working hard on that solution.

I’m just curious - what’s the next step? Why the NURBS?

What makes the one on the left fine and the one on the right wrong? Will you be editing the NURBS object somehow? Moving faces and ensuring geometric continuity across edges?

(I know that I always find myself manually merging SubD faces before converting to NURBS, but that’s just because I don’t like the looks of all those small faces - it’s purely a (misguided?) aesthetical thing…)
-wim

1 Like

I need to convert my mesh into a nurbs object with the less surfaces as possible. Because when I need to work on it by doing a boolean substraction (or to cut it into differents parts) and then have a rounded edge at the frontier, it doesn’t work when the object is composed of many surfaces. Less I have, better the result is.
I 'm a product Designer and I need to share my 3d file with engineers working on Solidworks. They need a Step file for industrial production and when the nurbs object is very heavy, it’s impossible to work on it.
I need a tool to simplify the number of nurbs surfaces because manytimes my mesh is composed of more than 100 000 polygons.
I will try again merging SubD faces but each times it’s create a bad surface, I loose continuity. Not you ?

Thanks for that additional information!

That sounds like a good topic for a new thread! Can you post an example?
-wim

Here is my problem. May be I’m wrong using the tool like this ?

1 Like