Tested just for you - WIP toolbar editing šŸ˜¬

Thanks for taking the time to write this. It deserves an equally long response, so here goes.

But first, a bit about where we are with this project. Thereā€™s a lot of new code here, and the UI for it is not yet done. As youā€™ve discovered, itā€™s gross.

First, our intentions

There are a few new features coming to Rhino 8 that are designed to fix a few very painful long-standing problems in Rhino.

1. Cross Platform: This new toolbar and window management system works on both Windows and Mac. On Mac, you didnā€™t have much if any customization available in Rhino 7 and older.

2. Toolbars Stay Put: This change makes it so that all the dockable stuff in Rhino can live in any of the containers. It also is stored in a way that when you close Rhino and re-open it, you get what you had. For some people, Rhino 5, 6, and 7, never really worked this way.

3. Delivering Updates, Not Trashing Customization: Another thing weā€™re trying to fix is the ability to add new tools to Rhino without trashing everyoneā€™s custom RUI files. This is actually a big deal. Letā€™s say we find a bug in the Circle button: we shipped with a macro -_Coircle and it just didnā€™t work. And you built a new custom layout of your own based on our default RUI. In the past, if you wanted the fix, you had to know to look for it and update your RUI. Now, because your changes to the RUI are stored locally as a set of changes (rather than a whole RUI file), we can modify -_Coircle to be -_Circle and both the default and all your changes will be updated.

4. Combining Tools: It used to be that if you had the VRay plugin loaded and you wanted your own new toolbar that had some Rhino tools and some VRay tools, youā€™d get a bunch of copies of those tools in your new toolbar. Now, Rhino will save links back to the original RUI files (for much the same reason as above) so that the original authors can update and change their RUIs.

And finally, if youā€™re one of the very rare people who design whole new layouts for Rhino (and, I know, you are) there are tools for un-linking everything and embedding it in the RUI.

Second, Our priorities

I got my hands on this set of new tools about six months ago. At that point, just opening Rhino felt foreign. All the styling was confused, things didnā€™t line up, there was a waste of pixel space, etc. Dark mode didnā€™t work (and still kinda doesnā€™t).

There were a bunch of things that didnā€™t work when you simply opened Rhino and tried to use it. We are very nearly done cleaning all of that up. And itā€™s our top priority - because using Rhino is way more important than customizing it for most of our users. Iā€™m not saying customization isnā€™t important - but I think itā€™s not controversial to say that using Rhino is more important than customization.

I intentionally pulled peopleā€™s focus away from toolbar button creation, workspace creation, and layout editing in favor of straight-up default user experience.

And now, weā€™re turning toward some of those more subtle things like what youā€™ve described. And yes, itā€™s far from being done.

I was just talking to John about this, and wondered what on earth ā€œand linkā€ means? Why isnā€™t this just ā€œNewā€¦ā€? Logged as RH-73818

Maybe there should be. Iā€™m not sold on that idea yetā€¦ doing so means you have a modal options dialog with another Toolbars dialog on top, and then all the editing you do happens on top of those two windows, pretty well obscuring what youā€™re working on? Or am I missing something here?

That looks like a bug. Iā€™m not sure those checkboxes actually are hooked to anything. Since toolbars can belong to multiple containers now, a checkbox is kinda nonsensical. It looks like you can cause toolbars to appear with those checkboxes, but they donā€™t seem to have a visibility correspondence: RH-73819

The intention here, which clearly didnā€™t work very well, was to help guide you through the process of creating a toolbar and adding buttons to it. If you were doing this in the context of the default RUI, I think itā€™d make more sense. But since you started with nothing (an empty RUI) itā€™s less sensible.

Logged as RH-73820

Yep, thatā€™s by design. So that we can update that linked toolbar and you donā€™t have to care. Glad you love it :wink:

This is currently in the category of internal conflict. Some of us agree with you. Some of us donā€™t. Iā€™m not sure where weā€™ll land ultimately - but even if we keep the ā€œbuttons reference macrosā€ concept, weā€™ll streamline the UI so that itā€™s not so many clicks to do things.

All the rest, I just agree with, and we have bugs logged for them.

I refer you to Rhino 7. Everything is unlinked there. But seriously, weā€™re going to continue to fix bugs and make it better - it might be a few months yet, however. :rhinoceros:

6 Likes