Temperature Load on Shell

unhandled

(Mathieu Côté) #1

Hi, I am applying a temperature load to a concrete shell element in addition to a vertical point load in the middle of the element. The shell has four supports on two opposite sides which are restrained in translation in both X, Y and Z. If the support conditions are changed to a simply supported shell element, the deflections remain unchanged despite being free to deform horizontally. Can you provide insight on this behavior?

Thank you,

Mathieu

Karamba 1.3.1
Rhinoceros 6

Hi Mathieu,
could you upload the definition or a simplified version?
Best,
Clemens

(Mathieu Côté) #3

Hi Clemens,
I realized that the maximum displacement from the OptiCroSec component is in the Z direction only as opposed to the maximum displacement from the Analyze component. Also, the fact that the temperature load acts on the entire cross-section of the shell, and thus, at the neutral axis, there will be no added vertical displacement. Those two facts explain why changing the support condition does not influence the displayed displacement. However, when looking at nodal displacements, displacements in both X and Y directions are influenced according to the sign of the temperature differential as expected.

This topic could be deleted, it was just a misunderstanding of component output.

Best,
Mathieu

Hi Mathieu,
thanks for your explanation! I think the topic should not be deleted since it can be helpful for others.
Best,
Clemens