Technical drawings - Is LAYOUT the best way?

I fully agree with what you wrote about documentation. There have been several threads about this topic. Another very comprehensive one is the following

http://discourse.mcneel.com/t/section-tools-for-architectural-documentation/11559

Our office started tracking hours lost on reworking drawings in Rhino. The conclusion is we cannot continue using Rhino as our main software. We are currently evaluating Revit and ArchiCAD although we are unsatisfied with their limited functionality regarding geometry and scripting. In addition to that we do not need 50% of their functionality (BIM, databases etc.). We plan to continue using Rhino for “special parts” that will be linked into the main models of Revit or ArchiCAD. For geometrically less demanding work we will switch completely to Revit or ArchiCAD. Not an ideal solution, but still better than dealing with documentation in Rhino. Documentation is the only reason we are leaving Rhino.

Regarding the distinction between 2D drafting and 3D model, I think Revit, ArchiCAD and SolidWorks got it right. With Revit being my personally preferred solution. Please look into the linked thread above to see videos of the documentation capabilities of those programs.

Although this discussion is frequently brought up by architects using Rhino, still other fields such as product design, industrial design, engineering, fabricators, boat builders etc. would greatly benefit from a better documentation feature. Everybody who has to produce and manage 2D documentation to build / fabricate / communicate their models.

10 Likes