Tabs in RhinoWIP

My apologies, i was using Rhino 5 not WIP. I see that now with the WIP.

Hi @dan, even with Sys Prefs / Dock set. No tabs here either. No OS restart, but I did close Rhino5.2 and opened a fresh WIP.

«Randy

yep, just checked the WIP and for whatever reasons, the macOS tab features aren’t working as i described previously in this thread… they do work in the regular rhino for mac.

1 Like

The tabs are for child windows only and multiple docs will not be collected in tabs. If you got that to work regardless, I’d like to know how.

it’s a system wide feature in macOS Sierra and not application/developer specific.
if you have sierra installed, the official Rhino for Mac version will allow you to collect multiple docs in tabs as being described in this thread.
it’s no longer working in conjunction with the latest WIP however.

Open regular rhino for mac, 2 separate main windows in Sierra. Then got to Window in the menu and then select merge all windows. I have been doing this for about 2 weeks, reg & WIP Rhino for Mac.

I only tried this in the WIP after coming across this topic, have just tried it in the regular version, it seems to work the opposite way to the WIP, I can have 2 models open in tabs, but if i try layouts it pops a separate window open ??

Is this the new workflow. No main windows in tabs, but Layouts & Material Editor would be in tabs. I hope these are options because I prefer main windows tabs and if I decide to use material editor or Layouts I can put them on my 2nd monitor.

well, the tab functionality in layout etc have been implemented by mcneel developers and it’s only available in the latest WIP…
tabbing the whole documents is an apple feature and it’s been available since Sierra.

it appears that the two functionalities are interfering with each other somehow.

Seems so …

I find this disconcerting. I open a new document in a tab, Rhino 5.2, and I import a drawing and i want to change the transparency so i click on the material edit button in Object Properties and it opens in a new tab. The issue is my Rhino toolbar now a simple toolbar, so i am right-clicking to bring back my toolbar. Not realizing I am in the Material editor tab. I delete the tab and it switches back to mt rhino tab with my correct toolbar. Just weird.

I am not sure i like the child windows going into tabs. I prefer app windows in tabs.

Since this is a tabs conversation. When will we be able to rearrange these tabs & create our own. Possibly even have the set to Left, centre & Right ? This seems more important than having layouts & Material Editor in tabs. I still hate having to open the material editor just to change transparency. This should be like it was years ago, and in Windows for that matter, change it right in object properties.

Been watching too much American TV, starting on some good rhetoric.

I honestly just tried this today after reading Dan’s post. I totally see what you are talking about with 5.2.3 placing multiple docs on tabs but not Materials and Layout child windows and the WIP only placing Materials and Layouts and not multiple documents in tabs.

@dan Can we have both moving forward? If not, which is the correct use of tabs?

There is also the issue of the Floating View port getting stuck as a tab while it’s main use, i’d imaging for most users, is to be used on a secondary screen.

that is if the setting in System preference are to set to use tabs always and not just on fullscreen.

akash

If it is of any consideration. I would like to see both moving forward. Any window materials, Layouts, and viewports can be docked under a single UI would be my preferred choice.

Having to the ability to see all my windows right in front of me is a big time saver and great way to optimize screen real estate. Having to opted out of that behavior for those that don’t like tabs should also be a option as well.

Thanks all for the great feedback. We are investigating the possibilities and doing some experiments. This might take a little while, so keep the good ideas coming.

Just a quick update on the behavior of Tabs in the RhinoWIP for Mac on macOS Sierra. Please check out the latest RhinoWIP (5D143w). If you navigate to RhinoWIP > Preferences > General, you can now configure the behavior of Tabbed Windows

… to hopefully get the behavior that suits your workflow or preferences. Please let us know what you think.

Does anybody get it why it´s just this for me?:

Maybe it´s too late now, but even with two windows open …

Ahhh, wrong computer.

I´ll try later with macOS Sierra.

Sorry guys! :neutral_face:

Software information
  Software versions
    Rhinoceros version:  5.3 WIP (5D143w)
    IronPython version:  5.1.2015.131
    WIP expiration:  13. Januar 2017
    Language:  en
    macOS version:  Version 10.11.6 (Build 15G1108)
  Plug-ins
    /Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework/Versions/A/3DconnexionClient
  Third party kernel extensions
    com.3dconnexion.driver (10.2.2) 598AA167-B9DE-3DFC-8288-33EEA0E4951B
    com.getdropbox.dropbox.kext (1.8.2) 1618A7DD-9B03-3BB1-AE9D-475B14B10D66
    com.parallels.kext.usbconnect (11.2.2 32651) 6996036D-00B1-367C-8702-95DDF4182433
    com.parallels.kext.hypervisor (11.2.2 32651) 1E4D9C3F-3A55-3F96-A377-7875345DA4B7
    com.parallels.kext.netbridge (11.2.2 32651) E96BCE0A-C480-374F-A9F9-E81D2A631FC2
    com.parallels.kext.vnic (11.2.2 32651) 7189C8F0-E8BA-3975-AFF8-2D1DA25E1E87
Hardware information
  Computer hardware
    Hardware model:  iMac12,2
    Processor:  Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Memory:  16 GB
    Architecture:  Intel 64 bit
  Video hardware
    Graphics:  AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB
    Memory:  1024 MB
    Screen size:  2560 x 1440
    Displays:  iMac (109dpi 1x)
  USB devices
    Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
    Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
    Apple Inc.: iPhone
    Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver
    Apple: Card Reader
  Bluetooth devices
    Apple: Apple Wireless Keyboard
    Apple: Apple Wireless Trackpad
OpenGL information
  OpenGL software
    OpenGL version:  2.1 ATI-1.42.15
    Render version:  2.1
    Shading language:  1.20
    Maximum texture size:  16384 x 16384
    Z-buffer depth:  24 bits
    Maximum viewport size:  16384 x 16384
  Implementation settings
    Use texture compression:  No
  Appearance settings
    Antialiasing:  4x
    Mip map filtering:  None
    Anisotropic filtering:  None

Yes, please do :wink: You’re not going to see the options unless you are on macOS Sierra.

Do tabbed shortcuts such as “cmd + 1” open first tabbed window, “cmd + 2” open second tabbed windows, etc. work for anyone?

Does not work for me, but I have this option set in Safari, (default on Chrome for Mac)

Using +1, 2, 3,n, does not work yet. I’m adding that to the feature’s list (RH-39223). Good idea.

As mentioned above - and you likely already know this - you can use +shift+[or] to cycle through the tabs. I agree it would be nice to be able to jump to specific tabs.

yeah we are in 2022 and this problem still persist on Big Sur