T-Splines for Rhino end of life

Just for simplification sake, let’s say there are about 100 type of users that own and use Rhino in some matter. Each of them believes that the one thing they do all day with Rhino (a 1/100th of the use cases/user-base) thinks that the other 99 users also use Rhino for similar reasons and have similar expectations. I used to think that way but them more I see Rhino being used by others the more I realize than no single niche is that important. The lack of commercial success of TSplines, VSR, Clayoo, Power-whatever… might be a clear proof of that.

If you read some of my other post I’m a big user and proponent of SubDs for advanced surfacing and that they could make the techiques more accessible to more users than any other tool at any price. But I also think that the nerdy-way of pushing a cube to form it into a rubber ducky is not the way to go.

1 Like

They are always claiming to be after the hottest thing. That’s how they keep their stock up.

Real artists ship.

Perhaps, though "tools for designers and ID as core has been espoused.

I have, usually insightful stuff…

Agreed re nerdy/ducky. A sub-d advance in form of accurate design intent is one possible path to sustained relevancy.

I think is a bold step, a long-haul play that probably only McNeel could pull off. But then who knows, they are the ones that haven’t been able to pull off a decent out-of-the-box viz/rendering solution for well over a 15 years and counting of trying. So we’ll see.

Near-term solutions like the VRS stuff is quite nice and useful for a global addressable market of let’s say 2-3K Rhino users worldwide? My guess is their sales where more like 300 seats max. My guess is that Michael wasn’t planning to make money with a super niche plugin, but rather ship it as a proof of concept to appeal to Autodesk, Dassault, Siemens’s vanity. But this is only nice stuff as in ‘nice turd polishing tools’. They even have a whole set of tools, half of them, to ‘analyze’ turds. Just so you can know with accuracy, with data, and colors, and curvature graphs, how shitty your shitty patches are.

The CAD industry is so bizarre :nerd_face:

Happy to hear I can entertain. Sucking knowledge and sharing some back is my reason to come back here. And to torture McNeel developers too, of course :speak_no_evil:

Yeah definitely. But look at it on the positive side: if they stayed focused on ID tools they would probably have gone out of business by now, like any other software company trying to make a living in such a small niche like ours.

I was told (from someone on the inside) that Autodesk was already licensing Michael’s technology for Alias. The acquisition of the company was the next natural progression. I’m sure hanging onto the company for the sake of a few hundred Rhino users didn’t make the least bit of sense from a business standpoint. We all would have done the same thing, I’m sure.

Dan

1 Like

According to a Russian proverb, everything is good in moderation.
Donald Trump is a developer. Computer programmer is a coder.

Sure, depth is a legit business strategy. A big tent covering professional product designers, expoloritory architects, small business owners, as well as hobbyists, etc., is smart and likely sustaining. Nothing is mutually exclusive. Got to hit the nut somehow.

However, from where is legitimacy derived? And what constitutes such?

In ways from: Relevancy, competency, comprehensiveness, and professional praise from those at the highest levels. Rest trickles down, especially when perceived as delivering “more (or enough) for less.”

Whether one buys into such or not (and yes, there is a ‘machine’ at work here), legitimacy stems from stuff like this:

1 Like

i think there’s a Chain option that’s on when you use sweep… if you uncheck that, the individual edges should be selectable.

yeah, and also it’s an all-or nothing chain option. look what happens if I uncheck it:

• I needed to pick two profiles and 2 paths. I only manage to pick 1 profile & 1.75 paths
  • Still no continuity options are being offered

Compared that to Rhino V6’s Sweet 2 rail:

…IMO that’s not the best tool for such patch; I rather use BlendSrf with explicit controls (also something F360 doesn’t have):

1 Like

You might find loft will work better in Fusion, note really sure though. Can you share the surfaces around the patch you’re trying to make?

Mark

Hi Hughes,

I tried loft…

and that was after going back to the open file and find this:

(BTW, I did figure out that you can chain edges on just one side by NOT clicking on chain edges (since chain edges picks all edges available), but rather shift-clicking the chain.

Oh God. Oh God.

G

PS: sorry, I can’t share this file.

Can’t you even trim down and shrink the surrounding surfaces so we just have enough data to make the surface?
You can even change the scale a bit, and we wouldn’t have a clue about what it is :wink:

fine! here you go…

patch_this_forum.3dm (136.0 KB)

First of all, you are not going to get a good surface to fill that space in Rhino because the edges of the existing surfaces are so badly out of tolerance. Look at the edge and vertex tolerances reported in object property>details (or run What command).

If you rebuild the edges on these surfaces and then try to join them you will find they don’t even come close to joining. You are asking to build a surface where at one of the corners that surface will have to match to 2 surfaces that are .05mm apart and your tolerance is set to .001mm. That’s obviously never going to work.

The best way to look at this is you have 2 relatively simple shapes and you want a smooth transition between them. The best way to set that up is something like this:
transition.3dm (100.3 KB)

3 Likes

I agree with Jim, it is impossible to get a good surface there because of the nature of those surfaces and their edges.

That said… NetworkSrf should support chained edges like BlendSrf does, and also have sliders like BlendSrf for all four edges to adjust the Curvature blend distance. (That said, it would still not produce a good enough surface for this scenario)

BlendSrf does a nice job consider the input, but there is no way to control the blend edge and NetworkSrf default settings are not good enough to handle the different curvature. It’s great for lots of things but needs some more options.

confession: that might have been scaled=up to a size where this gap is out of tolerance. It wasn’t when I built it.

I agree with Holo that we need a chaining edges on Network Surface. No way currently to have continuity on 4 sides with chained edges.

Yep, that is correct - as I recall, Mikko looked at this and concluded it was not possible in V5 - @mikko, is this worth another look?

-Pascal