Switch to .NET 5 for Rhino v7

Clearly, migrating to .Net5 for Rhino 7 would be a bad, if not impossible, option right now. Sooner or later it will have to happen, though. My hope is that, by then, the Rhino/GH team will be overcome with an unfathomable urge to redesign the UI using .Net Maui, if you get my meaning…

1 Like

You are assuming .NET maui is functional by then. Currently it doesn’t even compile and link according the discussion pages of the project. We already use the cross-platform library Eto

I was not aware Maui was that delayed, although it’s understood that .Net 5 is being released this November, but many important features will only see the light of day with LTS .Net 6 one year after. I hope that’s not the case with C#9 though, because it’s looking really good!

MemoryMappedFile … this is a interesting one. Is Rhino.Inside an inter-Process solution? I do not get it.

This thread is about dealing with differences between .NET framework and .NET core that we are dealing with as we update Rhino to use a newer version of .NET. I was pointing out one of the differences in memory mapped files.

.net 7 released today. Would be interested to know if these migration issues still exist?

Yes, issues still exist as these new runtimes are not 100% binary compatible with .NET 4.8

@tom_makin its coming: Rhino WIP Feature: Get ready for .NET 6! - Serengeti (Rhino WIP) - McNeel Forum

Regarding WIP and WPF I have some issues around RhinoWindows.Controls.WpfHost I think System.Drawing.Common is dead in net7 and where are still dependencies to Forms I guess…Is where an alternative approach? I see what where is a loot of fiddle diddle effort going on in this topic.

What are the problems you are running into? We still use a lot of WinForms, WPF, and System.Drawing in Rhino 8 running on dotnet 7.

I have the issue that RhinoWindows could not be found after upgrading to .NET 7 for Rhino 8: error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'RhinoWindows' could not be found

For some reason, the .NET upgrade assistant removed the reference to RhinoWindows in my project. Adding it back worked fine.

For reference, we now have the presentation for upgrading your plug-in available at

6 Likes

Hi Steve,
sorry I forgot. Too much work on my desk. I think System.Drawing and Forms is not in the net 5.0 above anymore. Or better said maintained to current stage. I think as i remember - the “old school” bitmap makes big pain in conjunction with wpf. Where is a new way of handling it, but it starts getting more and more difficult. Same goes with System.Text.Json. Where is a libary for 4.8 net but I think it is always a littlebit “different” to the net 5.0 above stuff. So what I think Microsoft will not keep everything up to date. lets put i this way. It works somehow.

@mi_sprinzl - a few pointers from somone in the midst of an upgrade to .net 7

• a version of System.Drawing which is compatible with .net 5+ is available on nuget here

• WinForms is supported on .net 6+ if you include the flag in your project file - an example is here

• There is no compulsion to switch from NewtonSoft Json to System.Text.Json. I’ve worked on the basis that if it ain’t broke don’t change it!

The upgrade process has been fairly smooth for us but your milage may vary of course… Good luck