Swatch URL material. Practical implementation

Is there any way to use “Shapeways material” output Swatch URL materials (textures) to achieve similar rendering quality as on Shapeways?

I tried several different ways and scenarios but only this render_question.gh (24.1 KB)
has worked:

Is this the best material representation quality I can achieve with ShapeWays Bridge? Or I am doing something wrong here? Also I am getting some errors here: 1. Image size is not a power of 2, it will be scaled for optimum viewer performance.

Uploaded def on ShapeDiver: ShapeDiver
Very thankful for your advise.
~
Ilja

Hi @ilmar_ik, this is Edwin from ShapeDiver. The problem in your model is that you are not providing any texture mapping and the textures are too small and they are not seamless. My recommendation is to use the ShapeDiver component “ShapeDiverTextureTransform” or to download the plugin Human which has some texture mapping tools that we support. With the ShapeDiver component you can scale, rotate and move textures in the object by using transformations. For the textures, you should try to find better ones and seamless ones so that the tiling of the texture looks smooth.

I have added some components to your file. Please have a look and let me know any questions. render_question.gh (31.3 KB)

1 Like

All textures are fetched with ShapeDiverShapeWaysMaterials node and are instances of Swatch URL output. I have no influence on quality of these textures. As I understand, this is the only representation of textures which ShapeDiverShapeWaysMaterials can output from Shapeways API? I would like to have same material texture and colours as they appear on Shapeways when shapediver redirects after upload to shapeways in a selected material.
ShapeDiverShapewaysMaterial
To be more clear: can I achieve same texture rendering quality on Shapediver to reflect material texture of a selected material rendered on Shapeways? Is it possible
to extract more detailed textures from Shapeways API? Or if there is a pack of Shapeways materials textures to download I would be grateful to have it. I tried to search on Shapeways Developers though, did find anything useful.

Hi @ilmar_ik, ShapeDiver is able to provide great rendering (Have a look at this materials test https://shapediver.com/m/shapediver-materials) but to do so you need to add more work to your grasshopper definition. Unfortunately, ShapeWays provides low quality texture images and their rendering has some internal texture processing that we do not have access to. That is why you need to create your own texture processing in grasshopper with tools like the one I mentioned in my first message (ShapeDiverTextureTransform). You can also find great textures at sites like https://www.textures.com/ that you can use in your definition.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Okay, this is exactly what I wanted to clarify!
Thank so much for your explanation, I’ll try to utilise some external textures to enable more realistic visualisation on my models.

1 Like