SurfaceFromPoints not working with closed loft-like surfaces

Hi, I’d like to manipulate the control points of a surface created from curves as a closed loft.

It seems that when deconstructing and reconstructing a closed loft surface using “Surface Points” and “Surface from Control Points” the seam is not created correctly - there is an overlapping area.

The same thing occurs using the C# NurbsSurface.CreateFromPoints function.

I understand this could be a limitation of the function, however is there any solution? (apart from recreating the surface using another loft operation?)

I’m attaching an example file.

2022-06-15 - Closed Loft Problem.gh (14.9 KB)

Thank you!
Marco

Hi Marco,

It happens that you had a few duplicate points coming out of the Surface Points component Points output. Verify this by using a List Item component and checking the indices around the start/end, you will see the duplicate points. The components in the group will remove these unnecessary points for this case.

Closed Loft solution.gh (14.9 KB)

1 Like

Hi James,

Thank you for the answer (and sorry for the delay). You are right, there is an overlap of two rows of control points on each side of the seam.
I couldn’t find specific documentation about this but your solution works (and can be applied to different surfaces if necessary).

Thanks!
Marco

1 Like