Surface Stress Loads

Hi,

Great plugin! I’m trying to locate and identify the stress of a surface. I used ShellForces (Result GP) to find all the stress but I can’t seem to find their proper location. Can you let me know how do I find the individual stress point location?

Thanks,
Bo

19_0530_Compressive_Structure_linear.gh (33.4 KB)

Hey!

it is a bit tricky to get the location of the results in the current version of the plugin. The upcoming version has this feature already implemented. However, I wrote a custom component for you which can find the location of a result by the ID since I don’t know when we are going to publish the update.

So first of all, it is important to know that all stress results lie on the surface on the so-called evaluation points (also Gauss points). Consequently, you cannot find them by plotting the surface control points with surface points. You need the uv coordinates on the surface in order to find their position. This position is defined in one of the text files (analysisname.georhino.txt) with EVAL_PT GPID SurfaceID u v. The surface id is the one you see in the preview of the analysis model. The output of the geometry is in the same order but you can use this to doublecheck. The custom C# component searches for this information in the text file and gives you the uv coordinates and surface id. (This is unfortunately very slow for many points. It will be much faster in the upcoming version.) You can find all of this in the group box which I added to your file.
Furthermore, you could also skip the sub domains and just use the surface from the loft if you are not planning to put different materials or loads. Instead you can add refinement options. I put this in extra analysis below yours.

19_0530_Compressive_Structure_linear_mod.gh (48.3 KB)

1 Like

Hi Anna,

Thank you so much for the explanation and sharing the custom C# component. The explanation makes a lot of sense and super helpful! The reason I’m using sub-domain at the beginning is that I want to create 3D printed panels from this design experiment. If I take from the loft surface, it will create only one branch, then I will need to re-organize the Gauss points to create the panels. Alternatively; it is exciting and might be a better workflow, I can evaluate the surface first then paneled the surface to create the 3D printed panels.

Thanks,
Bo

hey,

you 're welcome! :slight_smile:

If you want to evaluate e.g. the maximal stresses for every panel doing the sub-domains in advance is probably the best method. As you already wrote the gauss points will then be sorted. Doing this afterwards might be interesting if you want to consider the stresses for the patterning.
However, I just wanted to give this hint as sometimes one is so used to the standard workflow that one might oversee this possibility.