Surface joining/Solid woes

I’m trying to make a sculptural neckpiece for 3d printing. I’ve creating a geometric exterior layer and a solid base layer that is going to contain electronic elements (batteries, lights, etc). I simply cannot get the two to unite into a solid object. I made sure to create the base entirely from curves pulled from the top layer, but it seems my surfaces still don’t line up and nothing wants to join. Is there something I’m missing or a better way to do this? Neckpiece.3dm (6.3 MB)

Hi Jessica- the parts do not intersect cleanly - runIntersect on pairs (not BooleanIntersection, just Intersect) and check the curves that you get back. Anyway, you’ll see things like this:

where the objects don’t intersect as you probably expect, but also, as far as Boolean operation are concerned, there are partly coincident surfaces, and open curves of intersection - basically a little messy. How are you getting the brown objects into place on the lower thing?

-Pascal

I guess that’s why I’m confused. Here was my entire process:

1. Draw hexagonal curves in a single plane
  2. Extrude curves to points
  3. Group resultant shapes and use bend tool to create slopes at edges
  4. Extract curves from edges of shapes
  5. Use Section to pull out cross section curves
  6. Use Patch to create a surface on top curve
  7. Create matching flat curve on base plane
  8. Using curves, Sweep 2 Rails to create base shape
  9. Join top & bottom surface to swept shape

All of that executed cleanly and was done in an attempt to make sure that all the shapes and surfaces maintained alignment. Obviously that didn’t happen. I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to either A) fix the current model or B) a better process by which to generate the desired outcome. Being fairly new to Rhino I know that I tend to only build thing with the commands I’m comfortable with. As they say, when you have a hammer everything looks like a nail…

In an alternate case, using similar shapes, I’ve gotten what appear to be good intersections with the base shape, but still no success when I try to Union the surface objects. ShoeHeel.3dm (1.8 MB)